German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

new puppy wanted in Vancouver, BC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tagomago

PostPosted: 01/25/05, 6:59 pm    Post subject: new puppy wanted in Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Dear all,

We are relocating to Vancouver in April/May of this year.

We are looking for a puppy with good temperament history as a family dog. This will not be a hunting dog per se.

We are, and have the time and space to do so, willing to train and equally, to excercise and enjoy this addition to our family.

I have read the various forums and opinions but would be appreciative of advice, and equally suggestions of local(ish) breeders etc. Of course we are happy to rescue a puppy.

I should stress that we are not looking for " best in breed" rather a pup of sound persuasion that needs a good home.

kind regards

a.
Kyle

PostPosted: 01/26/05, 3:20 am    Post subject: Looking for a Puppy Reply with quote

Tagomago,
Do not invest in the pure breed champion, if you don't plan to hunt w/ it.
That is sort of like taking a child in a candy store to only look. Unless the dog is gun shy - a result of poor training. I highly recommend a rescue. However, be careful to get a good history on the rescued dog, pay close attention to their persona. Is it afraid of you or aggressive?
An animal that chooses you is generally a great bet. They are smarter than we are anyway. Not all abused dogs can be completely healed.
A wirehair is an excellent family member. I wish you the very best.
Kyle
Regina

PostPosted: 02/11/05, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are considering a rescue, I'd suggest periodically checking the rescue page, and also petfinder.com and http://www.geocities.com/gwprsq/. If the perfect match isn't there today, it may very well show up next week.

Many rescues are in foster homes or are shelter favorites, and they can tell you more about the dog's personality. That's a definite plus.

One last thought - many shelters will list "GWP mix" for any dog without papers because of potential liability. I would suggest deciding for yourself if a dog is a GWP or not.

Good luck in your search!
cheerio

PostPosted: 02/13/05, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I say that we have a litter of puppies in Rescue in the Seattle area. They are 5 months old and very nice looking. THere is only one female who unlike her brother, is White and black.
If you are interested, please have a look at the Rescue section of this forum. You may contact me privately and I will be pleased to give you Laura's e-mail address. Laura is the lady who has opened her heart and her door to these lively little pups and is presently fostering them.
If you prefer a pup from a breeder from that area, I believe that Laura may be able to help you as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: