German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Where is my Wire News?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/21/05, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Where is my Wire News? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a Nationals issue of the Wire News?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/21/05, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got mine today
bigoak

PostPosted: 01/22/05, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine friday.Tony, it wasn't hard to see where our parent club has It's priorities.I went through 40 pages of show cr#p before I found the field events.This is exactly the reason the breed is in such poor shape..vern
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/22/05, 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll betcha the volunteer position of editor of the newsletter could be had if anyone so desires! Just put up your hand and it could all fall in your lap very easily.
bigoak

PostPosted: 01/22/05, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having problem handling a little constuctive criticism?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/22/05, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, maybe your right! It's snowing like a banshee here and we're expecting from 12 to 16"... down right ornery right about now!

But, (you did expect a But, didn't you?) it's just so down right aggravating to hear people complain about something no one wants to help with! Been there and done that with this newsletter and begged , cried, pleaded, and offered things ladies of my age shouldn't even consider, to have anyone, ANYONE, contribute anything of consequence.

Luckily (I guess) for me no one ever took me up on some of my more ludicrous offers(maybe lucky for them).....but still....... it ain't an easy task.

I understand not many like to write, especially when others are going to read it.. but hey, send in some stuff! Trust me, it's like pullling teeth to get any club to report field trial, or hunt test reports. I don't know why... but it is!

Are you involved with a Wire club that holds a trial? (Not Vern directly, but anyone reading this) Take a couple of minutes and email the results and a bit of color on to Jodi. Been to a Hunt Test where a couple of Wires did well? Great.... send it in! Pictures of either????????? Halleujiua.... Praise be to the Gods of Pointerdom... please, please......send them.

Sorry for being a bit miserable .....it's too dang cold and nasty here in PA to be happy.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/23/05, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualgwp wrote:
I understand not many like to write, especially when others are going to read it.. but hey, send in some stuff! Trust me, it's like pullling teeth to get any club to report field trial, or hunt test reports. I don't know why... but it is!

I entered my dog in 3 wirehair stakes last year and wasn't able to run in any of them because of cancellations and people scratching their dogs at the last minute. It is hard to report trials if they never happen. Chances are, you won't get too many reports unless the club members win or place their dogs in their own trial.

BTW, I still don't have my Wire News yet. Sad We had a blizzard yesterday morning and the mail never got delivered.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/23/05, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigoak wrote:
Got mine friday.Tony, it wasn't hard to see where our parent club has It's priorities.I went through 40 pages of show cr#p before I found the field events.This is exactly the reason the breed is in such poor shape..vern

Vern,
Look at the Breeders Listing page of the GWPCA site. Over half of the breeders list Show as their first interest. About 1/3 listed hunting as their first interest, and the rest listed field events first. Rolling Eyes
bigoak

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My consern with our magizine is we aren't stressing our field work enough.I think the field trial,hunt test and Navdha results should be in the front of the mag,these are first and formost field hunting dogs.I'm seeing show Pedigree's with three and four generations without a field dog in it.This is exactly what happen to the Irish Setters....vern
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Tony wrote: Look at the Breeders Listing page of the GWPCA site. Over half of the breeders list Show as their first interest. About 1/3 listed hunting as their first interest, and the rest listed field events first<<

Tony - I see it a little differently. First, out of 28 listing interests, only 13 (46%) listed show first and of those 13 ALL also listed hunting or field related activites. Second, out of the 28 listing, 15 (53%) listed hunting or field related activities first and out of that 15 a full 12 listed hunting first while the other 3 listed field related activities first.

It is only my opinion but I believe it is very important that a dog be conformationally correct along with having hunting ability and instinct. The correct build is what allows the dog a long and healthy hunting life. It is possible for show and hunting to coexist very well and I hope the GWP breed continues to do so.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 29 listings, 14 of them listed "show" first that's slightly more than 48% (almost half). I counted the one breeder who didn't list her interest as "show" first, making that 52% or over half.

If the majority of the breeders were interested in hunting, the Nationals wouldn't be held on the opening weekend of pheasant season, or the peak of the grouse season.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question... aren't opening days different in each state?

When would you think/rather it be held?
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualgwp wrote:
Just a question... aren't opening days different in each state?

Yes, but the first pheasant opener in the midwest (North Dakota) is usually the second Saturday in October. I have missed more Nationals than I have attended because of this.

Quote:
When would you think/rather it be held?

I think it should be held in the Spring, like the AKC Gun Dog Nationals.
bigoak

PostPosted: 01/26/05, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,although I agree a spring Championship would be nice,but with the ice and snow it would be impossable to get the dog in shape for it without using a pro...vern
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/26/05, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wire News finally arrived. I noticed that the 2006 Nationals are going to be held on the last weekend of October (Iowa's pheasant opener). I am sure glad that I didn't waste any money on a futurity nomination for next year.

Can a dog still be called a National Champion if he only has to defeat 10 or 11 dogs? What are the chances of 4 dogs getting through the call-backs clean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: