German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big E

PostPosted: 01/13/05, 11:49 am    Post subject: GWP Info Reply with quote

I have been talking with peple, and checking out dog forums for the past year, and have decided that I want a GWP. My main concern is training. I would prefer to train a pup myself, but I want it done right.

I have never trained a pointing dog, any thoughts? Is this something I can do, or should I get the pup, then send it away to get "started"?

Also, without recommending/showing preference to anyone, does anyone know of any breeders in Michigan?

Also, my wife has seen GSPs, and how they act in the house, she was not impressed....... Any advice I can tell her regarding the difference with GWP v GSP?

Thanks in advance,

Erik
Jodi Quesnell

PostPosted: 01/14/05, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik, I don't have any experience with GSPs, but we have anywhere from 3 to 5 GWPs in our house with us. We have found that the younger dogs do o.k. in the house when they've had enough exercise. The older dogs usually do pretty well.

Of course, it's a good idea to find out what the puppy's parents are like in the house since temperaments are very hereditary. If when you go to visit the breeder, they have their dogs in the house, and they aren't bouncing off the walls, then the puppies will probably be the same.

Hope this info helps

Bye, Jodi
cheerio

PostPosted: 01/14/05, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, seing the way the dogs acts at the breeder's is the best possible way to assess the future behaviour of the dog once at your home.
As a general rules, Dogs brought up inside the home do better as "house dogs" than dog brought up in kennels. This is also true for puppies.
Furthermore, I have to question the generality made by your wife. How many GSP has she known? I do not have any first hand experience with the breed, nor do I wish to make a generalization based on the few I have known, but I can tell you that I have trained 4 in the passed year, and know of another 2, all are as well behaved in their home as any good family dogs.

Now, when you are talking about training your dog on your own, are you talking for obedience or for field work?
If you are refering to field work, I am sure that you will find some very experience people on the forum able to answer your question.
Now if you are talking about obedience, it really depends on what type of training experience you have. But I usually like to remind people that if they are not trainers, they probably should enroll into the class given by those who are trainers. No books nor video can take in consideration the inability to judge of the effect of the methode on a dog by his untrained handler. Remember, not all dogs learns exactly the same way nor react exactly in the same fashion to any given method or exercise. And since your wife seems to want a well behaves dog to share her life and her home with, why risk it?...
Kyle

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Training a GWP Reply with quote

HI,
I may look like a newbie but I've been involved with GWP's probably close to 30 years now. Gee - makes me feel old! NAVHDA has the "Green Book" Pretty much the bible for NAVHDA. I highly recommend it for EVERYONE training any working dog. Even non working dogs! I also highly recommend that YOU train your new family member if you plan on working with it, and having it as a member of the family too.
I have trained many GWP's and have had a NAVHDA champion. I have had seven - yes seven wirehairs in the house and all get along perfectly. (I babysat some often) The only battle would be who could get closest to me. I was introduced to the breed by my brother-in-law who is a NO CA Game Warden and his GWP has been his "partner" in every way. I've been hooked ever since. I've had a lot of experiance with many breeds and hands down I'll take a GWP anyday. I would like to admit however, I once was a firm believer than any abused animal could be healed with enough love and attention. I now know I was wrong. I rescued a severly abused female 4 years ago. I knew I could make her like all of my other wirehairs I've owned. It has take all of the four years to get her where she is and I love her to death, but I know I will never be able to trust her. She has come along way and I've been complemented that she has come as far as she has, but she still does not trust men. She can be in my lap and a male will be petting her, talking to her - I think - wow, she really is doing great No tension she was totally calm. The second the male turned to leave she bit him in the rear! When I first rescued her she was so afraid and expressed her fear as aggression. In the beginning I was almost afraid of her. Now she does well with a few close males, and loves me to death. I don't regret rescuing her, but I never believed it could ever be so hard. I also really believed I could heal her - and I can't.
Words from the wiser now,
Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: