German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Does anyone use much raw meat in their dog's diet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walltentwire

PostPosted: 12/19/04, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Does anyone use much raw meat in their dog's diet? Reply with quote

Like Blueblood, my pup isn't really a big eater. I feed the highest Fat/Protien combination that he'll eat. currently he's doing OK on Hill's puppy small bite, before that I used some "First Mate" Fish based food that was 32/20 'cause I couldn't take any ruminant-based food over the US Border "cause of the mad-cow scare . We have fed him a lot of salmon and ground pork too, and I've been cleaning deer carcasses and saving some nice lean venison for him. ( he loves raw venison! )
After a month of hard hunting, he was pretty emaciated. Fact is, he just didn't eat very well when we were hunting. Too excited I guess.
He's looking great now, though.

Lots of urban pet owners are using raw food up here in Calgary these days. They call it the "BARF" diet.... which stands for biologically appropriate raw food. Comments....?
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/22/04, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my working, ill or recovering dogs are on BARF. There is nothing better for the dog, as long as uyou remember to add a grain to it, and that you make it with the right proportions. An exces of meat can cause a serious illness in young dog leading to total decalcification of the bones with instantaneous fractures.
The proper mix is 1/3 meat + 1/3 raw fruit + 1/3 raw veggies. And for each 3 cups of prepared BARF you add 1 cup of raw grain (I like to use rolled oat).
Now if your pup is too thin, you may vary and add more meat for a while, but as soon as he is back on his feet, go back to the original proportions.
Also remember that the ground meat MUST contain all fat and bones as well. If there are no bone in it, you will need to add up bone powder and egg shells for calcium. And no, a calcium sold in pharmacy is not as good as plain bone powder. Also, giving your dog a bone after his meal is not the same either as the dog id not usually eating the whole bone.

In Calgary, you can purchase it ready made, frozen from Mountain dog Food. The cheapest way is to purchase the "Musher Block". BUT do add the grain.

A trick to have your dog put on weight quickly: twice a day, give him a whole raw chicken back, with skin, bones, and everything. (Watch your fingers when you give it to him! Wink
birddog
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/23/04, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I would feed my dogs anything other then a good brand of dog food. It is my opinion you can not control the correct amount of nutrition by mixing and matching. It took many years of research for companys to arrive at a suitable proporation to keep our dogs healthy with just the right amount of vitamins, minerals, and what ever else they use. I also feel feeding dogs people food may shorten their lives because we can only guess on how much to give of meat, grain, etc. and could upset the balance of nutrition. Please keep in mind there is always the exception to the rule and you may have fed people food to your dog and it lived a long healthy life, but on the whole I feel it is a gamble. There is no guess work with dog foods on the market today. Our only concern is that we are feeding an adequate amount. Janet
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/24/04, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand your point. However, I think that if you were to educate yourself on the principle of raw food, you may change your statement.
BARF was created by a group of breeders of Bernese Mountain dogs, who, as it is well known, suffers from early tumors. It is common for a 2 year old Bernese to be diagnosed with aggressive forms of cancer.
A study was done and showed that raw food feeding decreased the early onset of cancer in that particular breed by more than 60%.
Furthermore, it appears that dogs on raw food do live longer and do recover faster and better after an illness.
Foxes and wolves did not wait for food companies to develop a kibble to live healthy. Neither does our dogs.
Perhaps, the difficulty in finding the perfect nutritional balance in a kibble comes from the fact that there are so many additives and "junk food" in them, that the reconstruction of a nutritive substance is a real puzzle. Furthermore, considering the processing of that "food", at very high temperature killing all vitamines and most nutrition, it is easy to see why a balanced kibble is such a science.
There are no doubt that a good kibble is a good food, and that our dogs can adapt to it, at least most of them. After all, it has been said that a glass of Coke would have killed a man from the 16th century!... However, natural is still the best, and no logic can make me believe that it is not. If it were that heavy processed food was better for our dogs, why isn't it for us? Should we also count on finding a better health in the highly process all inclusive kibble?...
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/18/05, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Raw food Reply with quote

I to was feeding my guy Mountian dog food,,the beef diet..but I can not get the beef any more....I had been also feeding him the Nutro Beef formula,,that we can not get anymore either...I now have him on Max Natural diet.and I make up a stew with beef and oats and veggies...I have found that if Angus doesn't get any beef in his diet that he drops weight..it will be nice when the boarder opens up again and we start getting the beef Nutro again........
devata

PostPosted: 02/04/05, 11:58 am    Post subject: BARF Diet Reply with quote

I've been feeding a raw, homemade diet for 14 years, before it was so popular. Most people looked at me like I had a hole in my head for many years and some still do. But more and more, I just get questions about how I got started and why.

What would you like to know specifically? I will be glad to answer any of your questions or help you find resources that may answer them.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/08/05, 9:55 am    Post subject: Barf Reply with quote

Greetings from Ohio.
I have researched this and tried it in fact but had to stop. I had a few scares with the bones and what I thought was choking. Has this happened to you? Is it a valid concern? I was giving alot of raw chicken wings and drum sticks as a meat source with steamed and chopped brown rice/fish oil/carrots, which were smaller. The dogs simply loved the food. I would consider going back to it-maybe but I really need assurance it is the right thing. Also-what are you spending per pound?

FYI-The food from Royal Canin is the best out there-been on it 2.5 months now. They were named Pet food manufacturer of the year. They make a 30P/30F that is phenomenal. All the ingredients are top notch. Its expensive, but far surpasses any thing I ve ever used including Diamond & Nutro- which were the worst, and Purina, Innova, Eagle Pack, Sams Exceed and Eukanuba-( I was pleased with Euk and Purina Pro Plan but no comparison to Royal). The amounts of Vit. E, Omega 3/6s and Glucomsamine is 3/4 times that of these other feeds and it shows in coat and energy levels already- I still supplement fish oil/egg, meat scraps occasionally.
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/27/05, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Feeding GWP's Reply with quote

The only time I had a scare feeding raw foods, my chowhound took a whole turkey heart off a table and choked it down - literally. Choked it down.

I feed a ground turkey now that has bones ground up in it and I do pick out the larger, harder pieces and not feed those. But I've feed many chickens over the years without grinding and no problem.

Beef is not easy to come by since the borders between Canada and the US have stopped shipping beef because of Mad-cow disease. I think that's opened up now, however, beef is really a poor quality food for dogs and I would not use it.

For the opinion about having a balanced diet, who said that dogs have to have a balanced diet daily? Dog food companies? I know that the USDA recommends you have a balanced diet daily consisting of a number of fruits/veggies/grains/proteins, etc., and I'm betting that less that 5% of the members in this list get that daily, yet are told that it is important that it be eaten daily.

Why would it be more important for dogs to have a daily balanced diet than you? It may not be, but in reality actions of what people eat show the importance to them.

Feeding raw is not for the uncommited. It takes getting the food items, researching what foods are best for what times of year and what grains or herbs should be fed.

I'm a member of a BARF-coop in the Twin Cities and once a month everyone orders the meat of their choice and gets it. Wings are around $0.49-$0.69 p/lb, ground organs around $0.59/lb, etc. We purchase it direct from a meat wholesaler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: