German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New to the forum, and soon a new owner of a GWP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueblood

PostPosted: 11/25/04, 12:43 pm    Post subject: New to the forum, and soon a new owner of a GWP! Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am new here, was looking for some good literature to read. One thing led to another and we are picking up our first GWP this month. I have owned versatiles for several years now. GSP's and Weimaraners. Never a wirehair. It always came time for duck season when everything else slowed down and the short coated dogs were no good to me. I dearly loved them but they were very limited on the things I needed them to do. So I have been doing my home work for nearly 3 years and settled on the GWP. I feel it will do a great job for the type of dog I need. Any how I am new here and will frequent the place often.

Thanks
bb
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/25/04, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board and to the wonderfull world of the GWP.
I am sure that you will find all the answers you need among the members here, as I am sure your experience with your previous breeds will offer some very good insight to us all.
After the GSP, no doubt, you are in for a treat with your new GWP. I hope you're ready for a life on the fast track!...
More energetic, more humoristic, and more driven is what the GWP will offer you. A firm, loving patience is what you will need to offer your new hunting companion...and a great sense of humor too, although you are not required to do the butt-in-the-air-elbow-to the-ground-I-turn-three-times-around ritual as your pup will be doing...
Fuz

PostPosted: 11/26/04, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comment about the 3 spins made me laugh out loud! My pup just saw snow for the 1st time on Wed and went on out deck to do his 3 spins and it looked like slapstick- it went something like - spin and splat, spin and splat and 1/2 a spin and stop and look at the snow- eat some and tear off into the yard....none of my other dogs did this spinning stuff- he once circled 16 times before laying down on the dog bed to nap.... strange creatures arent they? Fuz
walltentwire

PostPosted: 11/27/04, 9:39 am    Post subject: great source of info on GWP's Reply with quote

check out www.drathhaar.com for some great breed-specific info on versatile gundog training. And protect any mounted birds you have in your home.....haha. i've gotta rooster who needs a repair job after my pup demonstrated his climbing ability and had a "go" at him.
My trophy bird from this season will be a Wall-Mount !
One of the most interesting things I learned this year was just how versatile and useful the Tritronics Remote training products are. Using the Pro 200XL, I was able to off leash train on wild birds in VERY close proximity to busy roads, saving me many hours of travel time over the spring and summer. The stimulation level can be set SO low my "Anti-Shock collar" zealot friends just couldn't believe that the dog even responded to it. I did however, train just with whistle and voice commands for many weeks first.
I'm still a novice, but i noticed there was a point at which the pup KNEW exactly what the commands meant, but sometimes deliberately ignored commands. This is the great thing about a remote trainer. Its precisely at the moment the dog tries these little tests that you tap him GENTLY to let him know you're wise to him.
There's a book titled "Hunter, Pointer, Retriever, the Continental Breeds" that has a good section on wires. In there the authors(s) comment that these dogs, while sometimes more challenging to train than "less demanding breeds" develop a relationship with their handlers that they describe as "almost telepathic" in its intensity. I have found that to be exactly what hunting over a hot wirehair is like.
Many times I've laughed at a friends comment about "getting a pointer when he can't keep up to a flusher any more". My rebuttal to that is maybe he should get a pointer after his flusher bolts ahead and busts his 1000th rooster out of gun-range. I just can't handle bolting flushers anymore after seeing the difference. This year I saw a guy step in a badger hole while running after his flusher, jam the muzzles of his Benelli firmly in the mud, then fall right on top of his loaded, bore-obstructed gun. YIKES!
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/27/04, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sorry walltentwire, but I had to laugh about your Rooster "in need of a repair job"! The image of your pup climbing the walls and furniture to attaque the poor bird is quite funny I have to admit...
walltentwire

PostPosted: 11/27/04, 12:15 pm    Post subject: One other important lesson I learned with my 1st GWP Reply with quote

Never underestimate what length these dogs will go to to get out and point game.
I was very lucky after the following awful scare Buster gave me....

I came home from work and he was running around the main floor of the house, all revved up to go for a run. He was pointing at some sparrows out through the glass door in the backyard. But the door was closed and he couldn't get out. I was upstairs on the phone in my office, and I had the window open. I don't use a screen on that window, and somehow the gate at the foot of the stairs was open. I had called to my wife to "crate him", but before she could grab him he raced up the stairs and just VAULTED out the window. He fell about 28 feet and JUST cleared the concrete pad, flying through a potentilla bush before tumbling down the steeply sloping flowerbed.

I thought for sure that was it for Buster, but get this.... there wasnt a thing wrong with him!! The ER vets didn't even think an X-Ray was required, and they were right. Every time I look up at that window from the backyard below I can't believe how lucky I am to still have a dog at all.

Don't be as complacent as I was on this!!! I have NEVER let him ride loose in the truck though, whether in the cab or in his travel crate. Iwould expect he would be a perfect candidate to jump out of a moving vehicle after the first bird he saw.
And don't neglect to get Pet Insurance for your Pup!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: