German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

training to hunt birds AND rabbits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldsoul

PostPosted: 11/14/04, 5:57 pm    Post subject: training to hunt birds AND rabbits Reply with quote

I have read that GWP's are used to hunt a variety of game and that their versatility is what makes them such great hunting budides. I hunt upland and waterfowl birds but would also like the ability to hunt rabbits with my dog. She is currently 11 months old and I have been concentrating my training on birds thus far. This is her first season ( which I consider HER season) and should we come upon rabbits, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to deal with the situation.
oldsoul

PostPosted: 11/15/04, 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky, I appreciate your response. I really want to use my dog to her fullest abilities. Gaining access to upland bird land in Kansas, with the exception of public land, is getting harder all the time. I really need to diversify my interests ( pheasant/quail, ducks/geese and rabbits ) in order to hunt as much as I like to. I was mostly concerned that hunting rabbits would "water down" her interest in the birds so I'm glad to hear that it won't. Has your experience been that the dogs point the bunnies and hold the point or do they run them in the manner of say, a beagle?
Jodi Quesnell

PostPosted: 11/15/04, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dogs will point and hold a rabbits just as they would a bird. Our dogs also prefer to hunt birds, and only seem to point the rabbits when no birds are in the area.

Good luck with your pup!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: