German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Rescued GWP couple days ago unsure of health care and such

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevan

PostPosted: 01/14/03, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Rescued GWP couple days ago unsure of health care and such Reply with quote

Hello everyone, we are new to the site and new to the ownership of a GWP. We have 2 other dogs a 3 yr. old vizsla and a 7 yr. old lab. We came across Ellie Mae by sure chance and luck. She was being passed off by her present owner for a bad retrival an encounter by a goose that wasn't quite dead. Resulting in her being bite and not to thrilled about geese hunting anymore.
We came by her through a friend of my husband's who also owned a GWP but at the time could not take another. Time was not on her side as the former owner had decided to put her down after taking 2 weeks in searching for a new home. After meeting Ellie we were delighted in what we saw and greatly impressed by her attitude and personality. After visiting with her for 2 hours we decided to keep her and make her apart of the family clan.
We have had her in our home for about 72 hours now and by watching her you would think she had been with us all her natural like.
I do have some health concerns hoping those who have delt with this breed a little longer than us might help out.
The night we brought her home, she was given a bath as her coat was in horrible matty state. Upon bathing her we soon discovered her ribs bulging underneath. I'm hoping this is not normal and GWP are alittle more filled out than this. We have a vet appt. later this week for a full exam and total shot work up untill then I have been feeding her 3x's aday of Iams, the same we feed our other dogs. At first she just ate as fast as she could, but noticed yesterday she left some of her lunch portion in the bowl for later.
I guess I'm worried about the proper care of the bred, in the way of feeding, weight gain and care of her coat. This is my first encounter with a wirey bushy coat and I want to do it right. I want to give Ellie the best care and home life she can possible have. She has been a wonderful edition to the family. Thanks for any tips on health care.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/14/03, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for giving Ellie a new chance!
Health wise, this is a fairly healthy breed when comparing to others. I would guess your vet will want a stool sample? If not take one with you. Worms can play a big part in "unthriftiness" and thin dogs. Even if nothing shows up, I would worm her anyway. At least that's what I do... worm every six months or so....
Keep us updated????!!!
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's

PS... if she is still really thin, you may want to do a thyroid check in the future.
kevan

PostPosted: 01/14/03, 9:15 pm    Post subject: thanks for the advice Reply with quote

while I'm writing this reply, happy to report Ellie is busy chewing on a rawhide bone with her head on my son's lap. just a wonderful dog, can't believe she was turned away and given a death sentence. Been trying to get a hold of the old owner to see and confirm on shot history. Was planning on having all shots given just to play it save.
Do GWP have a problem with their thyroid? Will make our vet aware of that on Thursday when we go in. Also going to have her professionally groomed, clean her coat up a bit with a snip here and there and have her ears cleaned and trimed as well.
Thanks again for your help.
mother of another pup
kim
abbygwp

PostPosted: 01/15/03, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your rescue. We have had our GWP since she was 7 weeks old and she is the best dog! (now she is 21 months) The vet should do a general work up on her and can determine if she has worms etc.

As far as health issues, we have only had the bummer of reoccuring yeast infections in her ears. I have finally gotten it all under control by keeping the hair pulled out of her ears and washing them out with an ear solution 2 times a month. Also, when you give her a bath, put cotton in her ears, this will keep the water from going in there and getting stagnet.

I would stay away from rawhide for this type of dog. They are very strong chewers and can bite the rawhide off in big pieces and swallow it and either get it stuck in their throats or in thier digestive track where it swells and they have to have it surgically removed. I use EXTRA large NylaBones, BLACK Extra large rubber kongs (my Abby can chew up a red one in a matter of minutes), rope knots and cow hoofs to help with her need of chewing. She also has a few sheep skin "babies" that she plays with, but will not destroy.

Good luck with your new addition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: