German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Wirehairs vs. Drahthaars clarification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDman

PostPosted: 04/05/06, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, let's ask the "why" question.

Specifically,

Why does the VDD and its dogs NOT want to be considered a GWP?

Why do some of the GWP folks INSIST their dogs are the same thing as a drahthaar?

In my niavette, it seems obvious. Either the VDD has something that people WANT to be associated wtih, or conversely, the AKC has something that people DO NOT WANT to be part of.

My hunch is that it is some of both.

A registry of hunters, by hunters, run for hunters with strict hunting tests and breeding requirements is a thing most hunters find appealing, hence the increasing popularity of NAVHDA, the VDD, and even the Deutsch Kurzhaar in this country.

Dogs show people while quite popular in the AKC are kind of sort of sneered at by most hunters I know. Hence, the urge to "move away from those folks and their artsy fartsy do nothing dogs."

There is a lesson here. Maybe it's not the dogs, but the breed club that people are really fighting over????
MochaJava

PostPosted: 04/05/06, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You broke the code.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/05/06, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a lesson here. Maybe it's not the dogs, but the breed club that people are really fighting over????

The thing is - the GWP breed club isn't participating in this. Other than me now - no members of the GWPCA have participated in this debate since Tony & Dual on page 3 and they only had one or two posts.

Someone going by FCShorthair started the thread, then a couple of people that seem to participate in NAVHDA, a few VDD folks & hodge-podge of other people that own GWP's but do not belong to any club. MochaJava has been the real instigator here. Personally I kind of have a hard time believing that someone posting under the name MochaJava is really a dedicated gundog owner concerned about the reputation of the GWP. I think this person is trolling and they've had pretty good success.

Deb
MochaJava

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be kidding! I should sit still while someone spouts cult nonsense?
If you call trying to get someone to face the logical inconsistancies in their bizarre pronouncements "trolling," well, I am at a loss for words...
What do call the original poster's comments?
DDman

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MochaJava wrote:
You broke the code.

Only if you believe tha the breed club's direction and the breed itself are mutually exclusive. I for one, do not. I arrived at this conclusion after researching the GWP breeders and the DD breeders for a year.

Same breed...probably. Same colors, behaviors, hunting styles? No way. On average, I found the DD's to be calmer, darker, and closer working dogs. There was huge consistency among all members, it was just finding a few breeders that seem to produce exactly what I wanted.

So I guess if you are saying technically they are the same breed from the basic genetic dog stock, you are right. If you are saying that across the boards, the VDD dogs and the GWP dogs are pretty much the same animal, you are dead wrong.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 8:48 am    Post subject: GWP/DD Reply with quote

Like I said before, its a dead horse.
There are some comments I agree with, some not. I have no axe to grind with the GWPCA or GWP owners in general-those that hunt/hunt test their dogs, I support and applaud. Conversely, I dont agree with every policy enacted by the VDD organization.
I dont believe all DDs to be superdogs, nor do I believe all GWPs to be show dogs. Id be foolish to consider such a theory and broad generalization. There are definately good/great hunting dogs in both registries and Ill readily admit as much. Someone else can have the last word. Im done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: