German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New and 1st GWP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deiter8

PostPosted: 08/05/04, 10:30 pm    Post subject: New and 1st GWP Reply with quote

Hello group. My name is Doreen and I am new to the group and GWP's. We just purchased our first GWP and he is 12 weeks old today. We used to have a bulldog, what a switch huh? We are enjoying him very much. He is enrolled in puppy school and doing great. We keep him just for a companion/pet, no hunting. I am going to enroll him in a puppy agility class as well. Any other ideas of classes? We take him to the park every morning for over an hour and let him run with our family/friends dogs and he loves it. He passes out in the car on the way home. Does anyone on this board have a GWP for companion/pet only? Any tips for a new owner?

Doreen
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/06/04, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of GWP. Being owned by one of these active, loving, intelligent, challenging, loyal and clownlike dog is not always easy but with the right attitude, discipline, exercise and a great sense of humor you will find it the most enjoyable experience of your life.
I have had 2 GWP, both rescued. The first one I trained and used as a Search and rescue dog. She was one of the best I have ever seen. The second I only recently adopted and is not good for much beside a game of ball and a good cuddle. She is still to fat for any sport...

Advise? you will receive plenty and you can ask all the questions you wish on this board. Some of the members here have owned GWP for years and have trained them in many different line of work. The most important for now is socialization, not only to people but to other animals, especially small ones, small dogs, cats... Remember, you are now sharing your life with a dog who has one of the most powerfull nose and a big prey drive. Now is the time to show them that not all animals are fair game...
Puppy obedience is a wonderful place to start, then basic obedience, then advanced. It is very important not to stop at basic, unl;ess you are a born trainer yourself, training is best done at school, where the dog can interact with other dogs and people.
Agility as a puppy always raises a lot of conserns to me. I have trained agility for over 10 years now, and I do not like the idea to start a dog before he matures, unless done under the care of a trainer who is a performance trainer, as those usually are well aware of the does and don't for a puppy.
In brief:
1- never have the dog jump higher than his elbow.
2- no running on any of the obstacles. Your pup will have plenty of time to pick up speed when his steps are a lot more secure and his bones are a lot stronger
3- no weave poles until the dog is one year as it deforms front paws and back
4- no jumping on the pose table which even if not too high, demands a great control from the back to not fall on the other side

When following these rules, agility is fun and safe.

Another sport GWP excells in is flyball. They are such great ball players!...

Good luck, and congratulations for choosing such a wonderful breed!
wire

PostPosted: 08/06/04, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a GWP and not allowing it to hunt is a crime. You should be ashamed.
RB

PostPosted: 08/07/04, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a GWP as a pet and she was the best dog I ever had. Yes, just like a poster above mentioned, training and socializing are essential. We made sure to give ours lots of exercise, and she was an incredibly loyal, smart, beautiful, and fun-loving pet. The hunting instinct is very strong, and it is important to teach that cats and other small animals are not prey. Yes they are fabulous hunting dogs, but I don't agree with the poster above who thinks it's a crime not to hunt them. Our girl had a great life, and we're about to get another GWP pup. Good luck with yours!
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/07/04, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wire wrote:
Having a GWP and not allowing it to hunt is a crime. You should be ashamed.

Wire, tell that to the many people my Cheerio saved when on duties as a SAR dog. I bet they will have a different opinion.

Hunting is the basic instinct of the dog. Now, the training can direct the dog to use this instinct towards other sports or line of work. In flyball, the dog chase after the ball, jumping over barres, just like he would chase after a bird, jumping over branches... In SAR, the dog chases after lost and hurt people, using their nose to localise them, climbing and jumping over bushes or collapsed building. It is once again, a type of hunt!
wire

PostPosted: 08/10/04, 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This post has been edited by the Admin"

Wire's comment has been deleted due to Rules or TOS violations. Sad

Please read the Rules of the Board and the GWPCA.com TOS for more information.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/10/04, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire, if you wish to share experiences or your opinion, that's fine and welcome. But please, if you feel compelled to add nothing except one or two word answers... take it elsewhere.

I wish every single GWP born into the world would be used as working gun dogs, but the reality of life isn't going to make that happen. I do suggest anyone considering a GWP take the time to look into the history of the breed, learn it's purpose and what it takes to keep this a happy dog.

This breed needs a job, something to do, something to occupy it's time and it's mind. Couch potatoe is not a job and can lead to poor social skills and a problem dog down the road. I fear these are the dogs we end up with in rescue..... everyone loves that fuzzy face, but hates the reality of a big dog, with big teeth, a sloppy wet beard and too much time on their paws.

Even if you are not a hunter, I suggest you find out about the hunting tests. I promise once you watch your dog doing what it was bred to do, you will be hooked.
Beths

PostPosted: 08/10/04, 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there were rules and regulations on this board about 'flaming' comments. I am surprised that these comments were allowed to show on the board.

Dieter, congrats on picking up one of the best breed of dogs out there. You're going to have your hands full but you'll enjoy your time together immensely. The GWP have great sense of humours that give you endless laughter in your life now.

Keep up with the basic training and obedience classes for socialization. You might want to take it one step further and take a class or two with a trainer who specializes in the hunting breeds, they can introduce your pup to water, pointing and retreiving. Giving him some skills and a job that he was bred for. We did this with our last pup and had great success and a happy dog who didn't have to 'hunt' to be happy.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/11/04, 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I am with wire on this one. I won't sell a pup to a non hunting family..

But,,,,,and it is a big but, no pun intended..as long as the dog is mentally engaged it will be fine.

Mine is a HRCH, UT 204 PZ 1 and a MH and if I don't keep him mentally stimulated he gets depressed.

Just keep the dog learning and challenge the dog and he/she will be fine...Teach a new trick every few weeks...They love it and the dogs love to show off infront of people...
deiter8

PostPosted: 08/11/04, 11:25 pm    Post subject: REPLY TO EVERYONE Reply with quote

Thank you for everyones reply, except Wires. It is a crime you are still allowed to post on this board. There is always a nasty one in every group. Anyway, when our pup has completed basic obedience we are signing him up for "little sports" which is a combo of rally obedience, puppy fly-ball and puppy agility. If he does well in fly-ball he will try out for the team and compete. We keep his mind busy with swimming, retrieving in the lake, fishing, running, new tricks etc. For a 3 month old pup he never quits until we get in the car to go home. He is being socialized with kids, small dogs, large dogs, cats etc. Our 3 year old keeps him quit interested in her and all her toys. I try to do as much as possible with him so he will rarely be board. Thank you again for all your advice, it is appreciated.
wire

PostPosted: 08/12/04, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you for everyones reply, except Wires.

I don't give a rip if you like my reply or not. The truth hurts. Why don't you get a Golden Retriever or a Lab if you want to play these ridiculous doggy games. At least then you would be using a breed that has already been ruined and leave wirehairs alone. Like I said before you should be ashamed. These dogs live to hunt.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 08/13/04, 5:26 pm    Post subject: 1st Time Wire owner Reply with quote

Hi,

Okay, I have been reading the responses posted to your initial question.

For the most part, they have been helpful & supportive. Of course, Wire needs to get a clue & leave you alone, his or her opinion is of no use as far as I can see. Yep, the truth does hurt! Twisted Evil

I don't hunt & my dogs seem to be doing fine. They only see pigeons on the weekend if time permits & seem to be none the worst for wear.

I have two wires, a 9 1/2 yr old male & a 2 yr old female. The male never saw a bird until he as 18 months old when I took him to a clinic that was being sponsored by a local dog club, he had a blast & I started him in field work. He has also finished his breed championship, agility & obedience. He has all of his novice agility legs, needs two more legs for his Senior Hunter & maybe we will try for his master hunter title.

My female has been with a professional bird dog trainer since May, due to some issues that developed in the field. To say the least, she was raised just like all my other dogs, but she had her own agenda that needed more work than I could give her.

It has not been easy & there were times when I thought that we would never make it, but I keep at it & would not have missed it for the world.

Good Luck with your new wire & enjoy them for the great dog that they are.
deiter8

PostPosted: 08/14/04, 1:26 pm    Post subject: reply to cmmilach Reply with quote

Thanks cmmilach I appreciate the support.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 08/18/04, 9:30 am    Post subject: Name calling and different opinions..... Reply with quote

wire wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for everyones reply, except Wires.

I don't give a rip if you like my reply or not. The truth hurts. Why don't you get a Golden Retriever or a Lab if you want to play these ridiculous doggy games. At least then you would be using a breed that has already been ruined and leave wirehairs alone. Like I said before you should be ashamed. These dogs live to hunt.

The purpose of this board is to share opinions and ideas. Sometimes they differ and someone is bound not to like the answer or opinion given.

This is all fine, BUT flaming and a continued negative attitude will not be allowed!
Try to keep your posts positive! Very Happy
Beths

PostPosted: 08/19/04, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Deiter, glad you're still convinced this is a great breed. We're looking forward to our new pup who should be joining us next month. I'm looking for more activities to join him up with and flyball sounds great! How did you hear about yours?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: