German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

All Star Invitational update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 07/26/04, 6:00 am    Post subject: All Star Invitational update Reply with quote

The plans for this years Invitational are coming along wonderfully. (see the post under field events )Thanks to some very generous Wire folks (Gen Capstaff, Carolyn Isom and Pat Dunleavy) we will have a buffet dinner ringside for everyone to enjoy! This will help with the timing of the event so no one will have to try to rush to get to dinner and then back in time. We also had a very generous donor who sent a huge check to cover the expenses..... we hope to "out" them at the event.

We have a beautiful trophy for the winner which was donated by our last winner "Gabby" owned by Dr. Cindy Heiller . This trophy is a bronze statue of a GWP on point. Beautiful.

We hope that even if you don't have a dog qualified to enter this year, everyone will come out to see these dogs and show your appreciation to their owners and handlers. The next Invitational will likely be in 2006 in California, so get those dogs ready!

If anyone has any questions.......
Bernee Brawn
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/29/04, 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the All Star only going to be offered every other year? I had hoped to run Max in it next year when the Nationals are going to be held by our club.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 07/29/04, 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb
Nothing is in stone....if there is enough interest it could be held every year. Why don't you come this year... MI isn't that far for you.
I think we will have an outstanding entry, both in the number of dogs entered and the quality of the dogs.
Bernee
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/04/04, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernee,

Well the original plan had been that both of our dogs would be off hunting during Nationals this year but it seems the trip has been cancelled due to Mark's work. So you may have another entry for the All Star after all...and maybe another agility entry also.

Deb
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/01/04, 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entries are starting to come in for the Invitational! Don't forget, entries close 9/18 .

We have a great itinery planned, a beautiful trophy and will have a belly filll'n dinner there for everyone. It would be great to see every living DC /CH/MH, Ch/AFC, and Ch/UT I dog there for all us to see and applaud.
wire

PostPosted: 09/04/04, 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have entered and will be there with my dog too. I am very excited.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 09/04/04, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

If you want your dogs to perform their best, don't tell them that they could have been hunting that weekend instead of spending it at a dog show. Wink
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/10/04, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Tony, you're most likely correct. That's why it would be nice to run next year --- Friday night in the show ring, then a short trip across the border to go grouse hunting Saturday morning. A win-win situation.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/11/04, 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wish the Nationals were not during the hunting season, but for now, it is. Maybe one day it will be changed to the spring, but there are good reasons that it's not. And good reasons it should be... but that's a whole nother discussion.

The question is "should you take a couple of days off of the hunting season to go to the Nationals?"
I guess it's all according to how involved with the breed you wish to be. If you are a breeder, or are even thinking about breeding your dog or your bitch, the answer should be Yes. The Nationals are the one place that you will see more GWP's in one place at one time then anywhere else. It's an opportunity to see dogs, families, and generations of GWP's. It's your chance to meet others who have been in the breed for years and years and to talk "dogs" with them.

There are dogs you may have read about, seen pictures of, or have heard people talk about. There are dogs who have won big events, dogs who have racked up big winning records and dogs you have heard about that will be there. It's a chance to actually watch these dogs in action and make up your own mind, a chance to get your hands on them, and be around them to check on temperments.What is written on paper, and what you may actually witness can be vastly different. This is what the Nationals can offer you.

If you are strictly a hunter, you may think watching the dogs in the show ring is just a waste of time. This is the opportunity to check out movement, and comformation of the dogs. It's not about who wins, or loses, it's about watching and learning. (Of course if I win, I'll take back that statement) You may very well see that a "line" you thought you were enamored with just isn't what you were looking for when you see them in person. You may learn that while one dog in that litter did very well and is beautiful, the rest of the litter are just OK. nothing special, and it may change your course. You may get the chance to see progeny of a stud dog you were considering using. And you may be either happy or sad. This is the place to see them.

The shows run for 3 days. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Not too may people hunt on Sunday, so that is a great day to be there and not lose a day to hunt.

The field events offer us more to see. The hunt test gives us a chance to watch the dogs being worked on foot, watch them retrieve, honor, handle. The water test gives us a chance to see the dogs around the water.

The field trial community in the GWP world is pretty small and this may not be your cup of tea. That's ok. There is still much to learn by watching these dogs. And no where in the US will you get the chance to see more of them doing it. Even if you don't wish to get on a horse to follow the braces, there are the owners, trainers, breeders to talk to. All in one place, at one time. East coast dogs, west coast dogs, mid west dogs....It can be a good learning experience if you choose to take the opportunity to do so. If you only have seen the Wires in your neck of the world this is a chance to see dogs you will never get the opportunity to see.

Bringing your dog to the Nationals also gives others the chance to see him or her. It's the sharing of genetics, bloodlines, working abilities. There are some darn nice dogs out there that should be seen, and if they continue to sit in your backyard...well, we will never get the chance. Your dog may have something wonderful to offer the rest of us, I for one would like to see them. I don't care if it wins or loses, that's not what it's all about for most of us who go. It's about the seeing them. The judges will choose who they like, I'll just watch and make up my own mind.

So, why take a couple of days away from hunting to go to a dog show? It's not just a dog show. It's a celebration of our breed given once a year to honor the dogs, to showcase the breeders and owners, to share. It's Wire mania...... a big party where we get to be with people who love this breed, share stories, dogs and experience.

Well, that's why I go anyhow.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/22/04, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernee - You were always busy at the Nationals so I didn't get a chance to tell you last week but you did a great job with the All Star and made it a memorable evening for all of us that participated. It is impressive to be at a dog show, see a ring full of beautiful dogs and know that everyone of them has a FC, AFC, MH, or NAVHDA UT PRZ I.

Thanks for encouraging everyone to bring their dogs and for the good work.

Deb
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/22/04, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deb, and thanks to all that came and entered their talented dogs! It was a great night, and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. The free dinner certainly was welcome! I again would like to thank the ladies who donated all of the $$ to put on this event.

It was really neat that the dog who won the Invitational also was named Best of Breed at our National Specialty! He is a nice dog with very nice owners to boot. Ch RLB's Mac the Knight MH owned by Roger and Lois Bultman was this years winner. Mac went home with a wonderful bronze of a GWP and 60% of the entry fees. Trues to the spirit of the event, Roger and Lois donated their winnings back to the Invitational to be used next year.

Next year in Wisconsin, we plan an even bigger and more "regal" event.

Thanks also to Judy Cheshire and Laura Reeves for all of their help putting the Invitational together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: