German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Mars Stripers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/08/04, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Mars Stripers Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sure somebody has asked this question before but I can't find the post anywere so:

I just saw what the coat king by mars can do on Arthur's coat and I was wondering what size to buy? How many teeth, etc?
I have called a grooming supply store and they could not give me an answer I was happy with. Basically they told me to buy one of each and try them.
All I want is a good all around tool to keep his coat in top shape.

Thanks Claudia
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/10/04, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is link to the other thread.

http://www.gwpca.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=75&sid=6ecfd872d3611e8acf0640cc2732cc39

I don't have the fuzzy dog anymore, so I never bought one.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/11/04, 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony for the link.

I think I will buy a medium blade and see what happens.

Claudia
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/04, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

just an update on the coat king by mars.

I love this tool. You can use it like a brush and it does a great job removing the old coat. The medium is just right as an all around tool but I think I will buy the smaller x-fine blade for striping the top of the head, face and beard.
I will let you know how this smaller knife works.

Claudia
Eric
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/30/04, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that this tool can damage the coat by causing some breakage and shouldn't be used for conformation dogs. Has anyone had this problem? I like the idea of it being easy on dogs (and owners).
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/30/04, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

I have seen a breder for wired hair terrier use this tool on her dogs and she shows her dogs as well.
She was actually the person who confirmed to me that all I would need is the medium blade for an all around tool. I asked her about the small x-fine tool and she said that she is using it herself as well to finish out a coat.
I do not show Arthur, so I really can't tell you if it would be bad for a GWP. All I can tell you is that Arthurs coat is amazing since I have been using this tool. No Frizy hairs on his body but there is some on his head and hind legs that is why I'm looking at the x-fine blade to help with the sheding of those hairs since the medium blade is a littel to coarse for that.

I have used a regular knife and ended up cutting more of the hairs then pulling them out. With this rake style blade I had hardly any cut hairs and it works a lot faster and for me there is no danger of cutting Arthur when he is moving around. He's not very good at holding still when you need to clean out his coat.

Claudia
Eric
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/07/04, 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Claudia - I bought a 12 tooth as was recommended by the supplier and it works like a charm. My boy seems to love the feel of it too which beats the usual dancing around he does when he is being stripped by hand.

Now if we can find such an easy way of keeping the legs and face tide life would be good. If you try the x-fine let us know how it works.

Eric
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/13/04, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

I just recieved the x-fine blade and used it on Arthur.
I needed to adjust the blade a little bit in the head to make it more easier to use on the head but it does a nice job on the beard and mustach. It also works great to get those fine hairs of his legs.
Arthur still has some of those baby fine hairs on his head that I will need to handstrip.

I would recommend that if you would be intrested in the x-fine blade to get the regular size and not the mini.
I bought the mini version and it takes a little more time to use it on the legs since it will load up with the old hair a lot faster than a regular sized one or even try the x-wide version.
If you already have a regular head tool it might be cheaper to just get a x-fine replacement blade that way you don't have to buy the whole tool again.
Try the groomersmall.com and click on the mars king store.

Claudia
Fuz

PostPosted: 10/14/04, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a FYI to those using the Mars Strippers- These tools actually cut the hair- pretty much as if you used a clipper- which will soften the coat. If you plan to show your dog in Conformation then this is NOT the tool to use. If you just want to use them on a pet for ease of grooming, then they are great. I know of several people that made the mistake of using them on their show dogs- while the initial results looked good, it soon became obvious that it was cutting the hair and softening the coat and it was months before the coats were ready for the ring since they had to grow out and then be rolled & hardened by hand stripping... Very Happy
K2K

PostPosted: 10/27/04, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuz,

Good to know. (sigh). I knew someone who used the Mars strippers on their French Brit, w/ good results. I wasn't sure if it was cutting the hair, so I decided not to go that way for fear of ruining Kes's coat.

I guess hand-stripping is the price we pay for our wirey pups, but I wouldn't have it any other way! Wink.

Karen
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/29/04, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Is stripping always necessary? Reply with quote

My GWP has always had a really nice coat - he has never been fuzzy. I'm wondering if I'm just lucky. Currently, grooming at our house means running my fingers through his coat regularly and a bit more when the undercoat is shedding - removing the loose hairs.

From what everyone describes, stripping sounds more severe and even a necessary part of GWP life.

Do all GWP's need stripped? I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I'd love to see a photo of a GWP pre-stripped and after stripping.
Fuz

PostPosted: 10/30/04, 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good view to stripped dogs and unstripped dogs is to view the ones available for adoption on the rescue page or see www.geocities.com/gwprsq.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/30/04, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new tool I have been using is the Fur-minator. It's actually a 30 blade (for clippers) on a handle that you use like an undercoat knife. So far I really like what it does. It removes undercoat and dead top coat in one fell swoop.

Do a Google search for Fur-minator and you will find them for sale. Not cheap, but so far, so good.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/31/04, 10:45 am    Post subject: web site correction Reply with quote

Would love to take all those GWP's home with me. I did have to make a change in the web site - there is a period at the end of the web address so if clicked on it doesn't find the page. Thanks for your help!

Try http://www.geocities.com/gwprsq
Fuz

PostPosted: 10/31/04, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt the blade head on the Fur-minator be cutting the hair- it IS a blade after all....not all that different in concept from the mars tool then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: