German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New and has Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keegan511

PostPosted: 03/02/04, 5:51 pm    Post subject: New and has Questions Reply with quote

hello all I am new to the board and have a few questions now and I am sure plenty to come. First and foremost I will be getting a GWP here in the not so distant future and was wondering what books would benifit me in training. I am a avid duck/quail hunter both of which require different things from the dog in the field. Also my wife wants to name the dog Badger which I feel is to close to the command Back, do you fore see problems with the name? Any other hints for me as a first time trainer would be wonderful. I look forward to your comments.

Sincerely,
Dan
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/03/04, 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger and back are not that similar. A dog can know the difference between whoa and no.

If you will use the dog for ducks teach it to follow the gun from a young age.

Joan bailey also has a book called How to help gun dogs train themseleves which will help make it easier on him and you.
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/22/04, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book gun dog is very good. I use my girl for every thing upland waterfowl and rabbits. the name will be fine. good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: