German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

introducing old dog to new pup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furlong

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 2:43 am    Post subject: introducing old dog to new pup Reply with quote

I am bringing a new GWP home in April and am introducing him to my 7 year old lab. I understand that the puppy needs to explore and scent the new surroundings but also needs to be introduced to the lab. I also know that the lab will want to play with the pup non stop and may interfere with the pup getting to know his new home. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Should I get the pup home and let him explore outside for awhile and then let the lab out but keep him on leash? Then bring the pup inside and let him explore and then bring the lab in? The lab is very friendly and will not be threatened by the pup but may be too rough while playing.

Thanks
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furlong,
I too had a lab in the house when I brought my GWP home. She was 14 years old though and got a long with all dogs that came to our yard. A friend of my daughter brought a miniture doberman that was pretty fierce and my dog was not threatend by it. It even latched on to her ear and was hanging there like an earring, she never became agressive. At 14 she still wanted to play, the best she could. I thought bringing my GWP home would be no big deal, but it was. After I thought about it I resaoned it was because another dog had not been brought into the house for introductions. If I were to do it over I would have had the pup outside for the intoduction then move it indoors. I broght my GWP in the house in my arms and attempted the introduction that way. At that point it seemed that she was never going to allow it. After the lab agreed he could stay but keep him out of her face type attitude, which took about two weeks, I let her dicipline him on how and when he could interact with her. Some days she played nice other days she didnt want to be fooled with. The pup could run circles around her and there was never any blood shed but but a lot of bared teeth from the lab.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also suggested that you actually introduce the two dogs on neutral ground first - such as a park. I think then once they get acquainted then you move to your yard and then to the house.

Ann
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppies are very adaptable. I would worry about it adjusting to its new surroundings. It will have plenty of time to explore and check things out. I would be more concerned about how well the older dog accepts the new pup into its domain. Be sure to establish a hierarchy with you as Alpha, the older dog second, and the pup last (greet and pet the older dog first, give him his food first, let him out the door first, etc.). This will help prevent the pup from challenging the older dog for dominance later.

Don’t worry so much about the lab being too rough. Dogs are smart enough to know that they can’t be too rough with something so much smaller than themselves. He will probably get excited while playing and make a few mistakes in the beginning, but if the pup yelps, he will back right off. Soon he will learn just how far he can go without hurting the pup.

Just make sure the pup doesn’t antagonize the older dog too much, and they will probably end up the best of friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: