German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New dog question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VJohnson

PostPosted: 02/17/04, 10:23 am    Post subject: New dog question Reply with quote

In December we adopted a German Wirehaired Pointer who had been taken out of her home for abuse. We didn't really have any knowledge of her breed, but we just couldnt resist her. When we got Zoey, she was so skinny that we were afraid for the first week or so that she might not live. I am happy to say she is doing great! She has put on some weight, although not enough. She constantly paces, and I am sure this affects her weight. Is the pacing a trait for her breed? If she is awake and not playing with her baby dolls or the kids, she is pacing. In the house, in the yard, all the time! I had hoped in the beginning that maybe she was nervous, or scared, or unsure of her surrounding and that it would stop, but it hasn't. If anyone has any input at all on this I would appreciate it very much! Thank you!
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 02/17/04, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for adopting a GWP! They are delightful companions!

GWPs are high energy dogs. Often pacing is the way this energy is expressed. I would suggest getting her involved in activities that involve her brain. Agility, field work, obedience, flyball or any other activity that involves brain work will help her to put that energy to positive use. It iwll also help you and her to develop a strong bond

Also, I would suggest the book "Second Hand Dog" by Carol Lea Benjamin. It's all about taking on a rescue dog and what you can expect and how to deal with some of the emotional baggage that is most certainly there.

Good luck and congratulations again!

BBAdmin
dualgwp

PostPosted: 02/17/04, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December to now isn't all that long and your new kids could take more time to fit in.

One problem with rescue dogs is you just don't know what they have been through, how much or how little they have had put into them, and it's going to take you both some time to figure it all out.

I agree with Sheri, it sounds like she really needs something to do. Wires aren't known for their love of lieing about and being floor mats.. if you want that get a Golden. This is an active breed that will self exercise if you won't exercise them... you probably won't appreciate their ideas however. The pacing could be nerves, could be a need for more exercise, you have to figure out what she needs.

Thanks for the adoption, and please don't hesitate to ask us all for help!

PS... I have had pacers, for them I think it was genetic and I bred away from it toot sweet!

Good luck
Dual GWP
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/17/04, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes personalities can change in a rescued dog. We adopted a cairn terrier once. She started out mean with a nasty temper and would snap at people. But after we had owned her a while she turned into one of the sweetest dogs we have ever owned. I think she had turned mean in self defence from living on the streets. It was like she turned into a different dog after we owned her a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: