German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

finding a trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamIam

PostPosted: 12/30/02, 5:18 pm    Post subject: finding a trainer Reply with quote

I am considering geting a gwp. I have done lots of reading on the bread and have found a breader. I have been hunting the last couple years and have decvided to make the jump and get a dog. Because I have very little experiance with gun dogs I was looking for help training the dog wehn I get it. I want to be as involved as I can with the training so I am looking for a a trainer in the Seattle area. Anyone know a good trainer?
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/08/03, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dualgwp has mentioned some very experienced and successful trainers.
But, the little unspoken truth about sending your dog out to a trainer is that unless you know how to handle your dog, "read" your dog, and understand fully how the handler worked with your dog, your dog in MOST cases will be ready to go back to the trainer in fairly short period of time.
Keeping a dog in good form is about consistency.

So, make sure that you spend enough time with the trainer so he can "train" you. There are other ways among which the best is getting to NAVHDA training days or training sessions that your local GWPCA club might have. I have nothing against trainers, but your dog will never work as well for you until you are comfortable as a handler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: