German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Throwing Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/06/04, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Throwing Up Reply with quote

I'm concerned about our 18 month old GWP Jake. For about a week he has thrown up 2 times. Yellow mucus looking stuff. Other than that he is eating fine and is alert and still a ball of energy. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks for your help.
Butterfly
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/06/04, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Throwing Up Reply with quote

Hi,

You should take your boy to the vet. It sounds like he is having a problem with his stomach. My male was having the same problem & it turned out that he was allergic to corn & wheat. I changed his food to Canidae & he is fine now.

Cathy
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/08/04, 7:27 am    Post subject: Jake Reply with quote

Took your advise and took Jake to the vet. Couldn't find anything wrong. The only thing she came up with is he might have caught the "flu" from us. We've been pretty sick. Is this possible?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/08/04, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Throwing Up Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know if it is possible for your dog to get the "flu" from you. I have had stomach problems in the past & it has never affected my dogs.

Here is how you can tell if it is the food or not, give him boiled hamburger mixed with cooked oatmeal for three days (that is how long it takes the toxin to leave his system), if you stops throwing up the yellow bile,you have your answer & I would go to the pet store & get something for dogs with sensitive stomach.

Cathy Rolling Eyes
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/11/04, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly,

This subject has been handled in the forum before...I can't remember who had the same problem.

Is Jake throwing up primarily in the mornings? on an empty stomach? It was around this age that my last boy (not a GWP) started throwing up in the mornings. He was a self-feeder on kibble (before I started feeding raw). I found that giving him a biscuit at bedtime and upon first rising helped immensely with the throwing up.

My current girl started doing the same thing at about the same age. She doesn't any longer. She's fed raw, but she'll still get her biscuit at bedtime and the morning yellow-bile vomits have stopped.

FWIW.
Illona
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/12/04, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illona,

Whatever was wrong with Jake seems to be over. He hasn't thrown up in 3 days and is back on his feed and bisquits. We're keeping a close eye on him just in case the problem returns. Still don't really know what was wrong but thank you to everyone who gave advise.

Butterfly :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: