German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Bloodline Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiscobob

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Bloodline Questions Reply with quote

Maybe I am not alone here, at least I hope not. I selected my breeder based on the temperment of her dogs, refrences, a great interview an the true love she seems to show for the GWP breed.

But I know nothing about what the Bloodlines of the Sire and Dam of my new pup means. Can some one clue me in here?

To clarify I understand the name is the ancestors name but how do I find out more about the dogs that are in the bloodline? Is it inportant? And what is with the different abreviations CH., MH and so on?

Here are the lines.

Dam - Gretel
Bloodline - Ch. Farmgate and imported Bloodline.

Sire - Gunner
Bloodline - Ch.Afterhours, Ch.Laurwyn, Ch.Walkers,
Ch.Cadenburg,Cascade Steamer MH

Thanks Very Happy
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/30/04, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if we can help you out...
AKC titles
CH- Show Champion
FC- Field Champion
AFC- Amateur Field Champion
DC- Dual Champion (show ch and FC)
JH- Junior Hunter
SH- Senior Hunter
MH- Master Hunter
CD- Companion Dog (obedience)
CDX- Companion Dog excellent
UD- Utilty Dog
NA- Novice Agility
NAJ- Novice Agility Jumpers
(there are other agility titles...)
NAVHDA titles (but may not be on your official pedigree)
NA- Natural Ability (prize 1-3)
UT- Utility Test (prizes 1-3)

The lines you mention are varied with a mix of old show stuff and some old FC stuff. We may be able to tell you more about individual dogs in there, but you have to give us the full names.

Q's? Ask away!
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/02/04, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisco,
One of the most important items in my guide to choosing a bird dog was to avoid the show stock like the plague. Show people will argue that a dog has to be well assembled to run in the field but but their priority is not hunting. Get a copy of Muellers speed train you own bird dog and read
his chapters on how to choose the right pup. I belive it helped me make an excellent choice, tons of good advice for the first timer. His early bird and gun introduction was a breeze. One more thing, start finding some birds for training and something to keep them in. If you have access to a lot of birds you wont need permanent housing but if birds are hard to come by then you will be fighting the battle to get pidgeons to home to your loft, if the dont get picked off by hawks. I never had luck with traps but a flashlight and a long handled fishing net will provide hours of intertainment.
P.S.
Never look up in a silo full of pidgeons!
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/12/04, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in the future in trading some hunts with other wirehair owners. I would like to watch some other wirehairs hunt and hunt some new species of upland game birds. I have always wanted to hunt ruffed grouse. Nothing fancy. Even some good public land where I would have the chance to bag my first ruffed grouse. I could take someone here out on a good wild quail hunt on public land. I have been finding several coveys every weekend this year. This weekend will be my last because it all ends after that. We could also take in a good duck hunt. Many of the areas I hunt are also the same places I duck hunt. Sometimes I take in a duck hunt in the morning followed by an afternoon quail hunt. I really don't know how well my dogs would do on ruffed grouse. From what I have read they are a lot different from quail hunting. What I do here is put e-collars on the dogs and let them loose. They run around and check in from time to time and I just listen to the collars. Last weekend my pup did his first solo back with my 3 year old. They both disappeared at the edge of a big grain field and I heard their collars go on point. When I got to them I found him backing her about 30 feet behind her. Both locked into a good solid point. It is the first time I have found my pup backing without my command. Saturday will be my last wild bird hunt of the season. I can't wait until next year. Opening day here on a good year the dogs will find over 10 coveys. My best hunt ever here was 15 coveys by noon all from one wirehair.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun Keith. 10 coveys seems like alot of birds. I would love to see how my dog handles quail. They say that Quail are hard to hit. Only need to hunt a few more species with him. Chucker is on the list too. Very Happy

I'm doing a swap hunt this year in Iowa for ducks. I think it is a great way to do some good hunting for little money. Knowing were to go is a big part of the hunt. And hunting in someones backyard where they know the birds are is a good way to insure success...
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't guarantee anything but in a real good year I have run out of shells on the loop back to the truck while the dogs kept pointing quail. Even in a bad year in the area I open I always get quail. This year was a good year. I hope next year is too. From what I have read ruffed grouse favor a dog that points at a distance and is cautious. I have had dogs like that. I have also had wirehairs that like to get as close as the bird will allow before pointing. Sometimes these wild quail in areas where they are hunted hard will like to run. It really helps if a dog is a good tracker sometimes. Late in the season they are more skittish. I had a covey flush wild about 30 yards in front of me last Saturday. Without the dogs anywhere in sight. What I can offer here is a good knowledge about bobwhites and their habitat here. I know where to find them. That is what I don't know about ruffed grouse. I also enjoy the few woodcock we get here. I understand you can have some good days in Wisconsin for both woodcock and grouse. My best day here on woodcock was 6 points. A typical good day here would be 3 points. I am on the western fringe of their range.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one can guarantee success out hunting wild birds that is for sure.

For grouse the dog should stop as soon as they make scent. If they try to find the bird and PIN it, bye bye birdy.. Grouse will just stop and stand still right out in the open on the forest floor. And let me tell you, you will not see them until they move. That is why it is so important for the dog to stop on first scent. The bird knows that it isn't hidden and will bust if it feels the pressure unlike a phez that you have to kick out of the grass.

If you catch woodcock migration flights when they are in you can get 24 points in 2 hours. The birds will be every where. It is great when you have a young dog to let him figure out that they can't catch the birds. I just let mine stand on point until he broke and put up the bird. He learned quick enough that he needs to wait for me. Now he will wait 5 min until I get there on a woodcock. They are the greatest training bird and they come by in the spring too Laughing

I would like wild quail since my dog is bored with the planted ones it may help him working wild ones. Plus I here they are great to eat.
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very good eating. And the wild ones are like a different species from the pen raised ones. When the season opens and I switch from planted to wild I am always amazed at the difference in speed. I do think the wild birds fire them up more. They point them with more intensity. It does sometimes transfer to the planted ones. At least for a while until they realize that the planted birds are inferior. I will be back in touch with you before next season and we can work out a trade. I am really looking forward to my first grouse. And your season starts much earlier than our season here. If you are still interested next season you will want to join me on the opener. Most years it is my best weekend. The rest of the season there are still lots of birds but you have to work harder and they are harder on both the dogs and your shooting. Those survivors get really smart. They are the super birds. They fly farther and faster and hit the brush quicker. At the end of the season all of the dumb birds are long since dead.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Grouse and woodcock up here around the 1st - 3rd weekend of october is the best time, both weather and bird numbers.

When does your season open?
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year it was the first weekend of November. I think next year will be the same.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Admin:

To avoid flaming, please refrain from talking about specific lines in a public forum. If you are interested in talking about specific breeders/dogs/bloodlines, please do so in private emails.

Thank you!

The BBAdmin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: