German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Looking for Knowledge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiscobob

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Looking for Knowledge Reply with quote

Hi everyone I am a new and sure to be long time user of this board. I have enjoyed reading many of the different posts here.

After very careful consideration of the breed, and meeting the parents and breeder of a local GWP breeder I have decided to become an owner of a GWP. Lucky Dog Smile She will come home in early June.

Anyway here is a thread I thought might be ineresting. Since I am new to this breed and am very hungry for knowledge, tell me what would your most sage piece of advice be for a new GWP owner like myself?

For background I am a avid hunter and outdoors person. Our dog will have plenty of room to roam, a loving large family and will be treated like a queen. Thing is I have always owned Labs so even though through my research I feel that I know what to expect, I would love to hear some experience talking. Thanks
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
will be treated like a queen.

Don't treat the dog like a queen treat the dog like a dog and it will be happier..

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks (me) very good point, a bit obvious but point taken, let me clarify she wil understand who the alpha is. I was speaking in general terms, however thanks for the positive first respone to my first ever post. Anyways if anyone has insights other then the obvious it would be very much appreciated.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a couple of small articles which are on my website. They are geared towards teaching the dog/you early so it is easy to have a well behaved dog. The writing is not George Will like but I get an e-mail every few months from someone who reads it and is using the ideas with their dog and having good success..

Last edited by ME on 01/30/04, 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, If the Wisco means you are from Wisconsin, the best advice I can give you is to join a NAVHDA chapter. There are like five in the state. Talking with NAVHDA folks from various WI. NAVHDA chapters within the state, if you live reasonable close to the WI. River chapter near Madison or North Central WI. near ST. Point, they will give you the most bang for your buck. I know for a fact those two chapters have members that are dedicated to helping folks just like yourself. If you are not from WI., check out a NAVHDA chapter if there is one in your area. Remember I said check out, because just as in life there is good and bad.
wiscobob

PostPosted: 01/30/04, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Wisconsing Vom Britt and thanks for the advice I will look into joining a club. I am in Oshkosh so I will have to see which one will meet closest to me. I will check out the NAVHDA website for local information.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/30/04, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably notice big differences in personality between your labs and GWP's. Your labs will seem lethargic in comparison. And it is more important to properly socialize your GWP pup. Your wirehair will also be more likely to bond closer to one person. Much of the training will be different too because one is a flusher and one is a pointer.
wiscobob

PostPosted: 01/30/04, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kieth I am kind of expecting that. From reading of posts here I have ordered the book Teaching your Gun dog to train themselves or something to that effect and I will be reading it. Seems like most find this a great method for GWP's.

The socialization thing is a great point I have been thinking about that, I will definetly make all efforts to socialize my pup with other people and dogs. Thanks again
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/01/04, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisco, I take it you want a bird dog/family pet.
My first breed to be bird dog was a lab and they are as Keith said
compared to a GWP. My first priority was an energetic bird finding machine. Well, thats exactly what I got. He is nowhere near steadied yet. He is only 11 months old and I cant believe I'm saying this now, but bird finding has become less important. I enjoying my pups company and antics so much that hunting is becoming secondary. I still want a good bird dog but he has became more than a hunting dog, so if you want to treat your dog like a Queen, do it. You only spend a short time of its life in the field, the rest of the time they're your best companion. As important as it is for a trainer to be able to read a dog, I think it is as important for your dog to be able to read you. What better way for that to happen than for them to be with you as much as possible.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/02/04, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisco,

The North Central WI. chapter meets monthly starting in March, ending in Aug. We train on the Mead Dog training area just off of of 39 between Wausau & St. Point and the trip should not be much over an hour for you. If you are interested in joining or just checking the chapter out, which is a very good idea, send me a PM.

Bob

PS. I have two GWP, and we need more of them in our chapter Wink Seriously, if you are willing to put the time it takes to train a versatile & give back to the chapter, NCW folks will share quite possibly more than you can absorb at this time.
oacona

PostPosted: 02/02/04, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I would advise to watch the sensitivity of this dog. We are raising and adoring our first GWP , now 3 years old. He is the love of our life and the best hunting dog we've know yet. And to mix a little bit of hard headedness with a very sensitive animal is a fun challenge. Just watch that he/she gets just the right mixture of rewards and encouragement tempered with steady and consistent teaching. In other words I guess, watch that you're not too hard on her if she is as sensitive as this breed typically is. It worked very well for us to let his enthusiasm develop before we came down too hard on him. Now he is an enthused , loyal, and pretty obedient hunter, and a very well loved pal.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/02/04, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience with every female I have owned of this breed, that you have to read them while correcting them. Most want to please you but you have to be creative in teaching them what you want. If you get to heavy handed they will shut down. Most of the males I have trained will accept more stern training and just fluff it off. But the females resent it.
wiscobob

PostPosted: 02/02/04, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your insight this is exactly the stuff I need to hear. Regarding the NAVHDA stuff. I was just wondering why I should test? Do I need to train for the test? As I am clueless as to what these tests even entail any insights you all might have would be great.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/05/04, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscobob,

The GWP Club of Wisconsin is based in the Milwaukee area, and there is a Twin Cities GWP Club that is based in the Hudson area. I always try to attend their trials or test when I can fit them into my schedule, both clubs are a lot of fun and full of great people.

If I were you, I would hold Britt to his invitation; even if you don't bring a MC pup. I know he would have to promise me a lot of beer to get my company for a whole day! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just kidding Bob! Wink
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/05/04, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck Tony,

If you would show up for one of our training sessions, I would even spring for your favorite beer, as long as it isn't over 24 bits a sixer Wink Wink

Wisco Bob, I joined the Twin Cities GWP club Tony mentioned two years ago. He is right on about the folks I have met in that club. They have fun days, run AKC tests, trials & shows. Plus, and this is very big to me, they recognize NAVHDA achievements with awards at their annual reward banquet. The awards are fine but it is the NAVHDA recognition that I respect this club for. To me close does not make a difference, it is about what these clubs/chapters lay on the table for their members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: