German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Need Advice with Behavior Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnlvn

PostPosted: 12/26/05, 5:48 pm    Post subject: is anyone out there? Reply with quote

I feel like I've been wandering in a wasteland for the past six weeks! I wish I had thought to look for "breed specific" advice instead of poring over all the puppy training books I have. Your dogs sound so much like mine! I have never had a dog friend quite like the one I have now. He is 13 wks old (I got him at six weeks). Nothing that I have ever been successful with before works with this boy when it comes to discipline. He is smart--learned sit and stay within three days, he relunctantly obeys the down command (vocalizing his displeasure with a series of "humpfs!"), and picks and chooses when he responds to, "Come." My concern though, is his behavior when anyone or another dog is sighted--either during our walks, visitors to our house, or anyplace we run into others. (I have a nightmare story about taking him into PetSmart & disrupting a puppy training class). I have him on a chain choker, but he is willing to pass out rather than sit still. He cries and lunges against his chain until I have to physically kneel behind him to restrain him with one hand under his chin, my body completely covering him, my other arm wrapped around his chest. This seems to have a calming effect on him (or maybe he just knows he can't get loose...) His anxiety level equals crazed in trying to get to his object--it is not to fight or bite, but just to
"get to." I am at a loss and have started to catch myslef thinking that "it's easier to leave him behind." I want my dog to be social and pleasant in public. I can't read why he goes beserk. Anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: