German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

lots of ????'s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fly4trout

PostPosted: 01/20/04, 5:44 am    Post subject: lots of ????'s Reply with quote

I have cut my choice of breeds down to the GWP. What a great looking Dog!! ( Even if my Lab owning buddys say they are ugly) From all the research I have done the GWP seems to be the one for me. Don't get me wrong the lab has proven it's self a great partner, but I want a dog that has that all work out look when the hunt is on and has a personallity that is unmatched. i think i have read every posting and subject on this site.
i guess to cut it short:
what can i expect to pay for a pup? i have seen everything from $300 to $1500.
i have found a litter that is from a guy who owns both the parents. niether parent has ever been in field trials. basicly just used for hunting. the guy is asking for $300 for a male and $400 for a female. the guy is willing to bring the last three pups and the female so that i can see them. he just happens to be coming to my area for some business. both dog seem to have good lines. the females sister has won awards in field trials/nahda.
what can i expect to pay. i talked the wife into adding another dog to the fam. but don't think i can spend the big bucks some of the kennels want for their pups.

also please don't hold back:::give me the low down on GWP and Children

Ken D
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/20/04, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot say enough about our female with our kids. We have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old boys that love to wrestle with anyone, including the dog. She doesn't even get up to move away but just lets them lay and play on her w/out batting an eye. Obviously a big plus for anyone with kids. I personally think that most dogs introduced to kids from the start, should be good. She is 1 & 1/2 yrs. old FYI.
As far as the pricing goes, I think communicating with the owners/breeders and your comfort level with them is the way to start. THen again, we weren't looking for a "field champion" dog either, but hunting companion and familydog.
fly4trout

PostPosted: 01/20/04, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that most breeds can be good with kids, it is mostly how you raise the pup. can most of you say that your GWP is very protective of the fam. and house. it seems to me that i have read a lot about the fact that they do not like strangers near "their" territory. do most of you find that to be true?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/21/04, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each breed has their idiosyncrasis and each dog in each breed will have more or less of those qualities.
I would say as a breed in general, the GWP is naturally protective. However, that doesn't mean each and every one of them will be, nor does protective equal man eaters!

In general, this is a breed that is very devoted to "his" people, his things, his territory. In general, I would say they don't necassarily love strangers messing with whatever they deem theirs.

This behaviour can be tempered and the dog can certainly be taught and conditioned to be more accepting and tolerant. In fact, I always suggest to anyone looking at the breed that they be prepared to socialize the new puppy with lots of outsiders, new situations, etc as much as they can.

Anyone bringing home a GWP puppy, that then leaves the puppy home all the time without meeting new people, riding in the car, going to a dog park, or training clinic, or school, or whatever will find themselves with a GWP that won't be trusting of strangers.

I find the Wire to be wonderful with kids, "in general". My 10 mos. old female is not one who fawns over strangers, but when my 4 yr old grandson comes over, you will find her following him around and sitting in his lap. Maybe they share the same lanquage?

I distrust all dogs with small kids. Big dogs can hurt little kids and not necassarily on purpose, and little dogs can put a hurting on them as well. Caution is always best in any situation with dogs and kids. Both dog and kid need to be trained to respect each other and kids need to learn how to respond to dogs.

You may also want to check with the breeder on how this particular sire and dam act around strangers and kids. Or even better, meet at least the mom dog.....if you like how she reacts to you and your kids, at least you will have a clue to how the puppies may react as adults.

One last thing, find the right dog for you....take you time. You will have this dog for probably the next 12-15 yrs......price and availability is not always the best solution.

Best of luck
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
fly4trout

PostPosted: 01/24/04, 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To All,
I guess one of the questions I have am I going t gain that much more by spending the money on the high dollar puppy. I here a lot of people state that one should stay away from the private breeder. due to the fact one doesn't know what they are getting. I guess I look at it the same you do Mr. Brawn, this is long term investment. this pup is going to be part of the family. I have owned many dogs in the past, only one was a hunting breed. He wasn't much for hunting but made for a great friend. $900 is a lot of money, how can one be sure that it is money well spent. I have a friend that has run pointers of many breeds in field trials. i know another couple that own 6 labs who field trial. both have made comments along the lines of "if you're insearch for that field trial champ spend the big dollars". i guess what I'm asking is are you looking for the same qualities in a dog for a hunting/family friend as one would for that field champ. you see all the high priced dogs on the market and I am worried that I will be making a mistake if I don't spend the money.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/24/04, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no guarantees in life. Breeding dogs is part science, part art, it's not like putting out a product like frozen peas. The same thing in every can. So,,,,,

I think it comes down to the breeder and his/her experience, his commitment to the breed and his ability to put the correct dogs together to "produce" the best "product" he can. The best breeders have a track record. They can show you other dogs they have bred, they can give you names of people who own them, and you can see for yourself what they have produced. YOu can look back to see if there are or have been temperment or health problems, and you can keep in touch for help down the road. That's what you are buying.

I'm always a bit leary of someone who sells their puppies for a lot less than the going rate. I have to ask why? Are they simply trying to unload them, are there problems? Will they be there to answer your questions? Are they willing to back up the health of the puppy and replace if necassary? Will they support you and help rehome the puppy in the future if need be? Or is it a "You bought it, it's your problem " type of deal.

I don't know a whole lot of GWP breeders who actually make a living from breeding these dogs. Well, I do know of one, and I would never ever reccomend them to anyone! I do know that when I breed a litter I would hope to recoup my costs and with luck put a couple of bucks in the bank to ensure I can continue to do everything I can for the next litter. Testing, trialing, hip xrays, and other medical test cost the breeder a fair amount. Why do we do these things? To ensure the next generation will be as good if not better than the last.

If I chose to breed, just to breed and not do any of the above, then I certainly could sell puppies for $200 and still put a nice little profit in my pocket.

Much of what your pup will be is what you are willing and able to put into the dog. But I think it's much easier and probably time saving if you start with a dog that genetically has a better start. If you can find a pup with all the health checks, and with proven relatives and it's a bargain price... great.

Everyone has their own level of spending comfort and each needs to do the best they can for themselves
You may very well get the very best GWP in the world for a bargain price!

One last thing... many breeders will work with people who may not have the $$$ to purchase a pup, time payments, co ownerships, and even dogs needing to be re-homed. Just take your time.....

Bernee (Mrs. by the way)
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/24/04, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this purchase you are deciding what kind of GWP owner you will be. If a dog is a tool to you, like a hammer or a screwdriver, then simply go out and get one. After all, a hammer is a hammer. If you want to support a breed and have a better chance of getting a good dog, then do your homework anf find a breeder that has a passion to breed the best dog possible. There are roughly 1300 GWP pups registered every year. Out of those pups, a small percentage come form breeders who are truly trying to breed a complete dog, a working dog with the type and characteristics that the breed needs. If you choose to buy one of these pups you have a better chance of getting the dog that you are hoping for. If you buy the next pup down the road, you're just helping populate the GWP world with questionable dogs. Trust me- there's enough of those already.
fly4trout

PostPosted: 02/09/04, 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for all the advise. I found the pup, well should I say Breeder, that I am very pleased with. The sire has proven himself in tested and the mother also comes from very good lines. A great price and isn't too far from home. Pup is due on the 27th of feb and i can't wait. thanks again.

Ken
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/09/04, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where are you getting the dog from and why?

To avoid flaming, hurt feelings and even possible litigation, please refrain from discussing specific dogs/breeders/bloodlines on these boards. All such discussion should take place in private.

Thank you,
The Admin

PostPosted: 02/17/04, 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME,

Sent you a reply in the form of a personal mess. and to you email address from your website. let me know if you got it.

Ken
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/22/04, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a reputible breeder would have more questions for you than you
have about their pups. Reputible breeders do not just sell their pups to anyone without knowing a little something about how their pups will
be cared for. Get information on littermates and check with those owners.
Maybe he has had pups that had to rescued or their owners couldnt handle them and had to give them away.
fly4trout

PostPosted: 02/25/04, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person that gave me his name interviewed me for almost an hour before dropping his name and telling me to give him a call. He was making sure that I had really checked into the breed and that I knew what I was getting into. I had talked with 6 or 7 kennels and he was by far the one that made me feel as if he cared where his dogs were going and what they would be used for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: