German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Dandruff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmtaylorIII

PostPosted: 01/07/04, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Dandruff Reply with quote

Looking for an opinion on how to treat an episode of dandruff or flaky skin. I've tried to respond with good advice to a few questions from other posts but have not been able to get anything on the board. Most likely my server's fault? I hope this will post.

I'm writing for a 6 yr old GWP. Recently he has been washed with an "oatmeal shampoo" from some? company. Since then he has had a terrible reaction to it. Constant itching, itching until the fur was wearing away. Took him to the vet for what we thought was an allergic reaction. Put him on antihistamines and new shampoo. Great idea. Would have done the same for my patients.

After the dog was DOWN, or much less active from the meds and new shampoo, he isn't itching. The constant flaky skin still exists, even after two months of treatment. You can see it on his coat.

We have tried a few things but nothing really successful.

Anyone have any ideas?

Bob

Currently sitting for a 6 yr old GWP and his own new 11 week old GWP.

Thanks

It would be nice to have a solution before the parents get back from vac.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/08/04, 9:42 am    Post subject: Itchy Skin Reply with quote

Hi,

I have two wirehairs & one aussie mix. I live in Colorado & we have very low humdity. I give each of them an Omega 3 tablet in the morning. This is just fish oil & it helps with their coats & nails. I also feed them a supplement called Missing Link, it is a powder that you sprinkle over their food.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
rmtaylorIII

PostPosted: 01/08/04, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I've tried the "fish oil' pills, same as the omega's. I haven't heard of the powder. I'll look for that. Thinking of switching his food from Iams "Lamb and Rice". Also just started using "LoShed". It's a spray full of vitamins and essentials. I typically don't fall for farfetched treatments but the vet recommended we try it.

The flaking is really bad you can see big flakes in his coat. He originaly scratched his coat raw. Got so bad that he wouldn't stop scratching.

Thanks for taking the time to write Cathy.

Still looking for advice
Roundtuitfarms

PostPosted: 01/09/04, 9:36 am    Post subject: Dandruff Reply with quote

I have read that normal coal tar shampoo will solve the problem, but it might take a few baths before the problem is fully resolved. Do a search for dandruff and you'll find a few strings on the subject.

Good luck
rmtaylorIII

PostPosted: 01/11/04, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round

Thanks for the advice. I've checked the internet and with the advice from everyone I think I have a game plan.

Bob
rmtaylorIII

PostPosted: 02/19/04, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog has improved but still some dandruff. I don't take care of the dog so I wish I could tell you more.

Real busy with Creek. My new... has gotten real "old" haha, GWP. Cut the bitting down to none almost over night from a tip I recieved. Lots of energy. Need to exercise more but don't have the ribs to do it. Fell cross-country skiing last weekend and now can't laugh without tears. To bad, I like to laugh.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: