German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

What's with the licking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacqui

PostPosted: 12/29/03, 8:16 pm    Post subject: What's with the licking Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a GWP and so far my husband and I are "In love" with this dog. He has a great disposition, loves to play and cuddle. Loves our grandchildren and is attached to our hip 75% of the time (he is getting better, at first it was 95%). We crate him during the day when we work (3-4 hrs max) He has broken out of one crate and we got a crate for the Great Dane, and sure enough he started unhinging the wire on that one too. Well anyway, we solved that problem with a few chairs against the door, but my question is, what is with the licking and drooling incescently. He does it in the car but only when we are out of sight. We think he has SA, but is getting better when we leave. We have read all the theories and exercises to do (leaving for 5 - 20 minutes at a time etc.) Do you have any helpful hints, since we are new owners (1 month) He is 1 1/2 years old. Confused
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/29/03, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technic you are refering to his the best one there is.
The other thing you may consider is putting 3 drops of a natural product called "Rescue Remedy" (from Dr. Bach) in his drinking water. It is made mostly from chamomille and is a great help in relieving stress. You can find info on the net.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/09/04, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licking = upset tummy. Also could be a stress behavior but if it is happening in the car I'm guessing he is carsick.

Talk to your vet about using Dramamine. I also use slippery elm bark or peppermint to calm the tummy. Pepto bismal will do the trick too.
abbygwp

PostPosted: 02/18/04, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the "rescue remedy" when we travel cross county with our dogs...keeps them calm.

Also the crate thing...my Abby is on her 3rd crate! Shocked I finally got a great dane crate (titanium) and put 3 padlocks on the crate door. She has gotten the clue..."mommy does not want me to break out". This was after a trip to the vet and 15 stitches on her thigh from her last break out.

And..we started putting our other small dog in the crate with her. They curl up together and sleep now.
Jacqui

PostPosted: 02/19/04, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we are ready for another GWP to keep this one company. We are ready to turn this crate in for another one, also. Last week when my husband came home (3hrs later) Wiggles was sitting calmly on the floor and the crate appeared to be untouched. That is, all locks in place, brace against crate, etc. At first my husband thought I forgot to put the dog in the crate. I have senior moments, Sad but really, not that bad. Wiggles' mothers name is "Miss Houdini" and we truly believe this dog did a "houdini". Also, I heard that dogs never mess when they are in their crates, well Wiggles did that day. I guess he couldn't help it, then mysteriously got out himself out. The bottom was in place also, if you were wondering. We feel truly blessed with our magically GWP, but still have a crate problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: