German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Ear Problems--specifically Yeast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollick

PostPosted: 12/27/02, 10:38 am    Post subject: Ear Problems--specifically Yeast Reply with quote

Hello. I have a 2 yr old male GWP with semi-chronic yeast infections in his ears, most often the left one. As far as I can tell, these problems don't crop up for specific reasons, ie excessive time spent swimming in the pond, particular times of the year, etc. My vet susupects food allergies, though the dog has been eating the same food all his adult life, and his ears are not always a problem, just sometimes. Can food or inhalent allergies cause ear problems? I've tried different methods to clear him up: some work sometimes, then stop working, and sometimes he seems to clear up despite what I do or don't do (or is this sort of infection likely to lurk, or go "into remission," as it were?). I also pluck the hair from his ears, which is a new experience for me since I've always owned GSPs in the past. I just had his ears cultured at great expense, and am about to start him on a topical RX designed specifically for the yeast discovered therein. But I'm wondering if any of you have faced this same problem, and if so, what solutions, if any, you might have? I don't show him, so his grooming is minimal, and I don't hunt him, but I do run him hard when I hack/ride out cross country conditioning the field hunters. I really appreciate any advise any one might have. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
abbygwp

PostPosted: 01/06/03, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 18 month old suffered from chronic ear infections as well. I found this product called "Ear Drying Soultion" from Perfect Pet. It works wonders for her. Kinda smelly though. It has tea tree oil in it to naturally kill off any infections that may be lingering. I put a couple drops in each ear once every two weeks.

Works great...has not had an infection since.
Longshot308

PostPosted: 02/04/03, 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbygwp,

Do you have a link to Perfect Pet? Who makes the solution?

Thanks
Doug
windswept

PostPosted: 02/04/03, 12:23 pm    Post subject: chronic ear problems Reply with quote

I think you should listen to your vet. Chronic ear problems can be food related, even if the dog has been on the same food. Ask your vet what food he/she suggests and try it. It certainly can't hurt.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/17/03, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I had an English Cocker with the same problem and my vet told me to use a solution of white vinigar and water mixed 1:1.
It worked great. I used it once or twice a week.

Claudia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: