German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Chewing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/17/03, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Chewing Reply with quote

My 9 mo old male will intermittently chew things in the night, not furniture or anything too big but ink pens and such, how ever he added $150.00 to the price of him when he demolished my cell phone. My wife has a co-worker that has twelve dogs and she told my wife to take all his chew toys away to illustrate that chewing is not allowed since he has his adult teeth.
Myself I think it is wrong but I wanted some input from GWP owners. I think this co-worker wants a dog that just lays around and has no energy.
I know it is worse when he hasn't had much excercise and may be working off frustrated energy so I dont really blame him.
maverickdvm

PostPosted: 12/17/03, 9:20 pm    Post subject: crate training Reply with quote

Crate training is a beautiful thing. It is easier to avoid the situations than explain to him what he can and can't chew on at that age.
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/18/03, 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the chew toys away? Sure, if you don't mind your pup to pick and chose his own chew toys! Table legs and stairs can be favorites...
Puppies chew because they are teething. They also chew because they are board.
Teething starts at 12 weeks and finishes by 6 months. Then, around 9 months of age, puppy pierces his last molars, a little like we do during adolescence...
This may be what is going on with your pup. Give him plenty of chew toys, some adible ones and some not. Perhaps you can consider some of these very hard bone stickes or hooves, or dentabones...

I totally agree with maverickdvm, crate training is a god saver, for you, your house and the dog! Whether he chews due to teething or midnight bordom, your cell phone will be protected and puppy will learn to chew only what you put in his crate. The crate is the protector of the home, it is the protector of the pup who will not chew electrical wiring, it is the best teaching aid, and the terrier dogs love and need...
abbyw

PostPosted: 12/19/03, 9:07 am    Post subject: chewing Reply with quote

How long do you typically crate your pup? I know GWP's aren't the average breed. Abby is 8 months old and we started trying to gate her off in the kitchen when we leave the house. Well, needless to say she jumped the gate effortlessly, and we came home to our presents under the christmas tree eaten! She didn't even bother with what was inside the boxes she just chewed up all the paper and cardboard! We tried leaving her again the following day and put chairs behind the gate so it was too tall to jump. I made sure to clear out the kitchen of anything she could chew and as always left her with a million chew toys. We came home and somehow she had gotten a small orange juice glass out of our kitchen sink that my husband had left in there that morning! I never in a million years would think she could get her head in the sink and get out the glass! She is only 40 pounds now and not that tall yet! Her nose barely reaches our kitchen counter! After that incident she was back in the crate! Thank god she was okay. The thing is she has never been destructive and when we are home would never think of doing that! Any help or suggestion would be great!
Roundtuitfarms

PostPosted: 12/19/03, 10:31 am    Post subject: Chewing Reply with quote

1) Don't leave her alone unconfined for significant periods of time (what you're doing in the kitchen I would consider unconfined, or perhaps worse Wink )
2) Put her in the crate when you must leaver her alone for significant periods of time
3) Put her in an outdoors enclosure instead of in the kitchen or in a crate if you're going away per a significant period and feel the crate is too small

What is a significant period of time? Depends on the dog--some with separation anxiety might think walking out the door is too long a period. This is a problem. If this isn't your dog's problem, then the above suggestions are worth considering.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/20/03, 12:28 am    Post subject: crating Reply with quote

My pup is in a crate enough during the day, I cant leave him in it all night.
I've never left him in it over four hours even when it meant driving 40 miles to let him out. If we remember to put everything out of reach it isnt a problem but leave a bathroom cupboard door open a crack and its toohpaste in the carpet.
Roundtuitfarms

PostPosted: 12/22/03, 8:57 am    Post subject: Crating Reply with quote

Lots of folks keep their dog in its crate overnight, with a significant benefit to the dog and the family. After a while, it isn't even necessary to colse the gate--the dog enters of its own will and spends evenings and 'downtime'. Four hours at a shot in the crate isn't too much--some folks feel periods of master inactivity/lack of oversight should be spent in an outdoor kennel, where the dog is in fresh air, receiving mental stimulation through its various senses, and isn't endangering itself or damaging property. The dog is only allowed inside when the family is present and prepared to pay attention to the dog.

Alternatively, with age, the dog will settle down (heck, my two Gordon setters settled down after about seven years Laughing .
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/28/03, 6:46 pm    Post subject: crating Reply with quote

We've used a crate with our yellow lab since she was 8 weeks old. Now that we also have a rescued GWP in the house, crating is essential for these teenagers (they are both about 2 yrs old).

The large crates are kept in our bedroom. The dogs don't get the run of the house when we are not around - they are just too big, young and if left up to their own curiosity - there is potential for trouble. We have left them in the crates up to 6 hours. Both dogs get plenty of exercise so we don't have behavior problems - they are well-adjusted and don't mind the routine.

The crate doors are always left open when we are home so the dogs can go in whenever they want "just to get away" or in Baron's (the GWP) case, to hide toys he has taken away from the yellow lab.

The crates are never used as punishment. And, as for nighttime - Baron goes into the crate when my husband comes to bed and stays in all night. There isn't enough room when Baron stretches out his legs for all of us.

I'm convinced the crates, consistency and plenty of exercise have helped our dogs become great family pets.
ENL

PostPosted: 12/29/03, 4:23 am    Post subject: Try hooves for a chew toy and crate training Reply with quote

My six-month old loves her calf hooves. They're cheap (I paid 69 cents each), so I just bought 20 of them and they're all over the house -- some black, some white, but different sizes and shapes. They seem almost indestructible. We mix that up with pig ears and rawhides-with-treats every so often. We don't play fetch or tug with any of the toys. If we "no!" her inside the house because she's about ready to take down the XMas tree or something, she just grabs a hoof and runs around with it for five minutes, then goes to town gnawing on it.

Crate training rocks! In fact, we just bought another one today so both vehicles are equipped with the smaller ones (large) and she has an XL in our bedroom. I feel tickled every time we go out to the car, even for a trip to the store, and I point at her crate in the back and she jumps in (well, she shoots as well as I do hunting...about 50 percent. She means well, but she seems to always hit the wrong side of the crate when she jumps in the truck Very Happy ). But I am ecstatic with the fact that she goes in her little cave at night and we don't hear anything other than her chasing birds in her dreams at night (no, really, it's pretty funny to listen to a dog dream).

She is in an outdoor kennel (12x50) 8-10 hours a day during the week -- waaay less on weekends. Running around for about an hour or so outside either training or just plain running, and inside all the time we're home. She's not to the point she just climbs into the crate on her own when we're in the house going to bed, yet, but the last few days I've taken her collar off and given the "crate" command and she goes by it (the crate), but doesn't want the freedom to end Smile . I think pups wish we went on a 48-hour clock!

e
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/29/03, 8:36 am    Post subject: chewing Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it all under control - our dogs grab their chewies too when they get excited. I guess better than grabbing us. We have plenty of chew toys: Kongs, rawhide, pig ears and they love the hooves (but when really working on them, they stink to us humans). We don't use any toys that resemble any of our human stuff - no confusion. I have a large ceramic flower pot urn - very snazzy in the living room, but it is for dog toys. Heavy enough they can't dump it over. Now if they can only pick their stuff up!

However, outdoors, the dogs have a "rope" tug they love but it isn't something we tug on with them - they use it together - more like play "keep away" and toss in the air. And it is great fun to watch.

Glad your Christmas Tree made it through the season!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: