German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

so hyper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/07/03, 5:17 am    Post subject: so hyper Reply with quote

Hi I am Mike's wife and I have been working with Deja lately and she is so hyper. We are working on her retrieving and she is so hyper after doing it onced that she will nto stop jumping and has nippede me(bite) in the face when I bend down to pick up the item. Any help or thoughts on what we are doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Also she has reverted to not pooping outside and she will potty her kennel inthe middle of the night or potty the floor in the house. Any thoughts on this will help also.

denise
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/07/03, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only tell you from my experience as this is our first gwp. Ours is now 17 mo. old and I could not believe how "hyper" she was/is. She is calming down somewhat now that she is getting older, but WOW is all I can say when we first had her. She has always repsonded to a stern "NO", or stern talking to and usually knew better after that. One of the first commands she learned was down, because she LOVED to jump on people. So once she learned it, I would tell her "down" basically as she was running to me-- before she got to me so that she wouldn't even try it.

As far as the housetraining, I think we just lucked out, as she never once pooped inside and only had to work with her a few weeks before she figured that "peeing" was only done outside. We also have a dog door, which makes it easier as well.

I still am impressed at how smart they are and how fast they catch on. Hope this helps a little---
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/07/03, 3:32 pm    Post subject: So hyper Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Cathy & I have a 17 month wire female from the same breeder that you received your girl from. My female, Sky, also is very busy. I play frisbee with her in the backyard every night after work for at least 15 or 20 minutes (I have a big yard so she has to run far!). I also own a 9 yr old male wire, Doc. He just now started to calm down. Unfortunately, they were bred to hunt all day & they have the energy to do so.

As far as Deja jumping up & biting you with you try to retrieve the toy, I also have had that same problem with Sky, she will leap start up in the air & grab the frisbee out of my hand or she will nip me on the arm if she can not reach it. I taught obedience for 13 yrs & I would tell my students who were having the same problem to put a long line on their puppy, that way you have some means of controlling them. I would then have them step on the long line when the puppy came back with the toy or ball, that way the dog could not reach the toy & you would have some way to hold on to them. Wires are very smart & if you can give her a correction at the right time, they learn very soon. I take Sky out to run birds & she has picked right up on that.

As far as the housebreaking is going, Sky was at least 9 months old before she could hold it all night. I let her sleep in my room in her crate & I would get up & take her out if I heard her get up. If Deja is going outside & then coming back in to potty, just don't let her back in until you see her go. My dogs learned early on, if I don't see you squat, you don't get to come back in!

Good Luck & e-mail me at ciaradoc@aol.com if you have any other questions.

Cathy
ENL

PostPosted: 12/09/03, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of people who know way more about GWP/DD training than I do, because this is my first one and she's only six months old...so I'd appreciate any comments about my thoughts on the nipping thing.

I think it's a form of possessiveness. You've got her thing, she wants it, and she really isn't sure how to communicate how urgent that want is, and she sometimes doesn't know what he mouth is doing to get it.

Since I'm training my dog to hunt at the same time I'm dealing with a pup in a house with three cats and a three-year old, I just make it very clear what are her toys and what are my toys. You didn't specify if you were training the dog for hunting or not, so this may be a little OT.

For my pup, her toys are the calf hooves, ropes and assorted hard chew toys that I never, EVER touch, take away, play fetch with, EVER. If she's got to work something off (energy) and (especially if) she can't go just running around the yard willy knilly at the time, she grabs one of those and just goes to town on it (and goes willy knilly in the house or hotel room). I (try to) never correct her when she's got her toys, and I just let her go beserk with them at times around the house and she "burns down." No tug-o-war, no playful fetch...those are hers, not mine.

Then, there are *my* toys. Those are the dummies and dead bird trainers. We get to play games with those toys, and the games continue until she gets possessive with them and forgets that they are suppose to come back to me for sharing, or she just stops listening because her puppy wiring gets tired Smile . She knows she can have them, as long as I get to play the game, too.

We also have one special dummy that I pull out at the end of training and it's kind of our training-playing timeshare condo -- we play hard fetch and I never hold it more than a couple of seconds. It's just total playtime for both of us to end 20 minutes or so of her fighting herself to do what she wants.

I noticed the nipping was kind of getting hairy when the pup was about four months old; and it seemed sudden. We quickly realized that my wife was doing the opposite of what I was doing. She was playing with the dog's toys -- mostly tug of war, but also "Hoof Fetch". For two months, now, I've been training a wife and daughter as well as a DD. Very Happy And things seem to be better now that everyone knows that the pup's stuff is the pup's stuff, but if you want to play, use my stuff -- but tug-o-war is verbotten. I just did a very poor job of explaining the training tactic to my wife and daughter, in the beginning, and that's my fault.

I don't know if that this is super sound, or helps your case. But it's just two cents.

ENL

p.s. When you said your dog went in the "kennel" inside, did you mean crate? If not, I highly suggest true crate training at night. And in the car. And in the living room. And everyplace. At six months, we're finally starting to let her have a "bed" in the house in the evening, which we put exactly where the crate was. I pretty much trust her to not go in my crate, uh, er, house. Laughing
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/10/03, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three year old started out like that. She would get to playing with me and would not stop. Super energy. I don't think I could have trained her without a shock collar. In the beginning I even had to use it to calm her down when she refused to quit playing. Now she is three and she is a normal dog. No more hyper in the yard than any other dog. But in the field she never, never quits hunting. My 1 year old male on the other hand is very calm. He is calm in the house too. And a pretty good runner in the field but no match for her. But he had the bad habit of jumping on my back when I first let him out and nipping at my shirt. I just kept correcting him and he quit. He thought it was fun but I let him know that I didn't like it. My female never nipped but likes to bite my shoes and ankles when we play. The difference between now and when she was a pup is that now she will quit when I tell her to.
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/10/03, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niping is a trait that needs to be "nipped" in the bud. Even in the pack, the pup that pesters and nips a more dominant pack member is in for a rude awakening. It is not unsual to see an older dog "roll" a pup and get right in their face when the pup gets to physical.

I tend to take a hard line with pups that jump and nip. They may not like it but they recover and know exactly where the limits are.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/11/03, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fine to seperate the dogs toys into theirs, mine and ours but all of my dogs know and understand that I can take anything they have at anytime regardless of whose it is. A dog that won't allow an owner to take something away from them most definitely does not recognize them as the alpha. That could be a big mistake some day.

Ann
ENL

PostPosted: 12/20/03, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trackindog wrote:
I think it's fine to seperate the dogs toys into theirs, mine and ours but all of my dogs know and understand that I can take anything they have at anytime regardless of whose it is. A dog that won't allow an owner to take something away from them most definitely does not recognize them as the alpha. That could be a big mistake some day.

Ann

trackin: That's a really good point. Exclamation Exclamation I should have been clearer by saying that it's "her's" at *my* privilege. I just don't "play" with her toys, but I have no problem taking it away when I think it's appropriate...and she doesn't protest that. (i.e. a chew toy that gets to be a choking hazzard.)
mike

PostPosted: 01/04/04, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Nipping Reply with quote

Nipping was a problem and hurt more when my GWP had all of his puppy teeth. Our vet showed us a technique where you hold the dog by the muzzle and the back of the head and make it sit/lay down. This technique teaches the dog you are the pack leader. The dog will resist but then just let out a huff. When he submits to my being the leader. The vet recommended doing this 10 to 15 times a day (young dogs forget quickly.)
Now when we a playing and the dog is a bit nippy I just put my hand on top of his nose and hold it for a second and he remembers that I am the boss. I also don’t hesitate to grab the skin on his neck which he responds to better than if I grab his collar. I think it goes back to their mothers grabbing that same skin to discipline them. Hope this helps.

Mike
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: