German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grouse

PostPosted: 11/30/03, 10:32 am    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

I have a young female who loves to play in the water. But is reluctant to swim. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make her more comfortable in the water. A freind of mine sugjested that I wate until the summer and take her out in the lake to swim behind the boat . I was wondering if this sounded like a good idea. Any help would be apreciated thanks.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/01/03, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait until summer when you can go out with her.
Bizmark

PostPosted: 12/01/03, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kennel where I take my 5mnth old has a heated pool and an instructor that keeps him in the for a half hour at a time. after 5 or 6 sessions he now loves to swim and can easily make the transition from pool to pond.
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my guy to the beach,,he followed me in until it was to deep to walk and just started to swim,,,it was very easy and no stress. we stayed in for about 2 hrs in and out..it was a blast....now every pond he comes to he is in and swimming.
sambarman

PostPosted: 12/12/03, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your pup to retrieve a (floating kong) on dry land. Then gradually intoduce the kong into shallow water and progress deeper and deeper until the dog is swimming. I've used this system sucessfully on a number of dogs. Do it gradually and make it fun, your pup will be swimming like a champion in no time.
wesleyc6

PostPosted: 05/16/05, 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my pup swimming some now too. He wants to get in every drop of water he is around now. LOL. I don't think he likes to swim as much as he likes the water, but he will go on in and get the dummy for sure. Of course now if you let him out he will be wet when he comes back in. LOL

Wes
Jon

PostPosted: 05/16/05, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a couple of ducks. Let the duck make a long track in the grass and let your pup track on a lead or put the duck in a cage at the end of the track. You can also use a dead duck but that's not as exciting to a young dog. (I have a harness for ducks that lets me "walk" them on a lead.). Do this right and two ducks will last the whole summer.

Once the pup is tracking and getting excited, find a small pond with some swimming depth water and enough cover for the duck to hide - a few cattails is ideal. Let the duck go 5-10 yds back from the water. It will lay a track through the grass or short cover and then swim away. Bring your young dog up immediately to the starting point. Encourage the dog. When it enters the wter, be prepared to take a few steps into the water with the dog. Its best to keep your mouth shut and not take the dogs concentration away from the duck. If the pond is small, the dog will not need to swim far before the duck breaks out of the cover. Let the dog chase and have fun. Have a dead game bird that can be placed for the dog to find before the pup gets tired of the chase.

I have also used live pigeons on a pole and flopped them on the water in front of young pups.

It got to be fun. There has to be a reward. The pup discovering its own reward is better than you making it easy or leading the pup to the reward.
You will find that after a few times most young dogs think that every "puddle" will produce a duck if they just swim out and go look. With this simple excersize, you have started tracking, introduced water, started the water search, and encouraged independence.
hartwick

PostPosted: 06/01/05, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to wait until the late spring/summer when the water is warm enough. My dog (10 months) would readily go in the water, but wouldn't swim. I threw a couple of treats far enough out that he went for them. As he got more comfortable and stronger swimming, I moved them out more. Now have him retrieving dummies in prep for NAVHDA NA in the fall.
pointon

PostPosted: 06/03/05, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd chime in here... I know I read this board to just get some ideas on how to do some things so here is my experience w/ my pup (14 wks today) as it relates to water.

I was real anxious to see how she would take to the water so I'd take her over to my in-laws where they have a good size tank w/ lots of easy entries.. My pup would sniff at the water and step in but always get right back out.. My father-in-law has an English Setter who's about 15 months old and loves the water.. So, I brought the setter out to show my pup another dog swimming.. My pup was about 9 weeks at this point... Within 5 minutes she was swimming out 15 yards and making a big circle and coming back.. She'd get out and watch the setter swim some more and then back she went... She would swim under the pier and across the narrow portion of the tank... Now, at 14 weeks, she's got me worried about how far she goes out.. I find myself standing on the pier saying, damn, I hope she can make it back.. She absolutely loves the water now.. I guess my point is, she followed the example of the older dog.. It was obvious that she just needed a little confidence.. She was interested in the water and once she saw the setter swimming she wasn't going to miss out..
FLITTERBUG

PostPosted: 04/12/06, 8:58 pm    Post subject: WATER Reply with quote

Wait until the water is warmer. You need to be able to get in with dog. Make it a very positive experience. No training at this point. Give her time and she'll be everywhere, but if you push too hard you may make water a fear for life.
DDman

PostPosted: 05/17/06, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Quit making a big deal out of it. Reply with quote

In my humble opinion, if a dog will enter water, but not leave their feet, it is time for you, as the pack leader to step in. Coaxing, bribing, etc...none of it help, and teaches the pup that water is a big deal requiring multiple reasons to enter. This is a confidence issue and the pup needs someone to reassure them.

The best way to calm a young dog afraid to leave their feet is to put your chest waders on, find a thin strip of water deep enough for you to cross, but that the dog has to swim. Start walking with pup at heel. Pup enters water but hangs up when it starts going over their back. Ignore the pup's protest, calmy command heel and keep WALKING! The pup won't protest long, and will instead give in and follow you. He may panick a little and puppy splash, but just ignore him and keep on walking. Come on out on the other side, praise pup, play with them for a while, then go back the same way you came doing the same thing. After a few times, pup will be totally confident in water.

Bottom line....if you as the pack leader show confidence and teach the pup that water is no big deal, pup will agree, water is no big deal. Momma would teach her pup the same way. She sure would not sit on the opposite bank barking for pup to follow. If you make it a big deal for the pup by pleading, coaxing, etc., pup will never be as confident as he could be.

This will only work for a dog that likes water but is afraid to leave solid bottom. If the dog won't enter water period...you have a real problem and this wont fix it.
joereese

PostPosted: 02/02/08, 5:15 pm    Post subject: age Reply with quote

Is 10 weeks to young to start swimming?
Jellen00

PostPosted: 11/26/10, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,i think that's the best time to train.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: