German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Pic of my bitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patsy

PostPosted: 11/15/03, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Pic of my bitch Reply with quote

This is a pic of my best girl! ("SGR Red Dirt Girl", aks "Emmy Lou")I am so in love I can't stand it! She is my second GWP (SGR Dirty Hairy is my first). I have bred and shown terriers in the past and am also a sculptor so I was really looking for conformation as well as hunting. My husband is an AVID hunter so that was of course KEY. After much searching across the US calling in all my "dog connections" I found Hairy. Several years later having kept in touch with his breeder, I was able to fly out to the breeders and get my pick of the litter. (Grandsire is Cascade's Silent Running". She is an AWSUME dog. At 15 months she was hunting better than any I know. She is the smartest, goofiest dog I have ever had and I have had many.
Partly, I just wanted to show off and join your forum. I am also going to breed her though and I am looking for a stud. I live in a rather remote area and don't compete in either field or conformation because of that. We have a working ranch and the dogs work and hunt all the time. They hunt Elk, Deer, and birds. (I have lots of stories of them that I hope to share in the future.) I would never breed if she were not both excellent in hunting ability as well as conformation.
My question, and the reason I joined this forum, was to search for the right dog to breed to. Any info would be appriciated. I realize that it takes a special home to do justice to a GWP. That is my only worry...finding the right kind of home for the puppies I don't keep! Patsy
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/03, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Those eyes! Reply with quote

Lots of good/great dogs out there in the eye of the beholder. Before I would breed any of my dogs (I only breed when I have room for a pup) I always think about improving the breed. Tough to do, but you have to be honest with yourself in evaluating your dog for breeding and where to TRY to improve. Things to ask yourself. Where is your bitch weak, point, retrieve, nose, drive, sharpness on game, cooperation, stamina, coat, which looks OK but personally prefer a dog with what I call a hunters coat (not shorthair) because I hunt my dogs? Nobody on this forum can honestly tell you what what is the right dog for you to breed your bitch to if they don't know your dog.

Patsy, please don't take the above as being negative comments. I have just been around to many folks that just don't care about improving the breed, when they breed, and it is an eyesore ( to put it mildly) with me!!
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/15/03, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo what was said above. I have many times express my opinion on breeding and it can be read elsewhere on this forum.
Welcome to the board. I hope you will enjoy your visites. And please do tell us all of these wonderful stories you are talking about.
Your girl is simply beautiful, she looks just like my Cheerio, goofyness and all!...
Patsy

PostPosted: 11/16/03, 10:18 am    Post subject: Breeding my bitch (long!) Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Of course you are right about all that you said. That is the reason I spent so much time researching before I picked her. Though I love my other very much I had him fixed as I did not feel he was breeding quality. For over 20 years I bred and showed Dandie Dinmont Terriers. I was elected by the National Breed club to judge the sweepstakes at the National Specialty. I mention this only to stress that I AM a very responsible breeder. I too only breed if I am keeping a puppy. My dogs are my family and are with me all day in my studio, on my horse and in my room at night. I don't breed for the money. My biggest concern is placing them where they will have the right handleing. In my experience they can be tough little knuckleheads to raise needing lots of attention and activity to control the energy I want them to have.
That said, I know it takes more than a good pedegree. (Her father is a bench champion, MH, and Field Champion. Her Grandfather on the bottom "Silent Running" was quite a well known field dog as well .) She will have a thyroid and hip clearence etc before I would breed. I really want to do my homework on the Dog I breed her to.
She is totally not groomed in the picture but I think has a great coat. Loves water retrieves and it dries almost instantly. We hunt her all year and she has great heart and stamina. (She goes riding in the mountains wih me all the time and even after 20 miles is still going!) Her nose is excelent and perhaps her best feature. She has thus far always been the one that found those "hard to get" birds. She air scents more than tracks. She is sweet and goofy and not at all dog or people agressive. I like her size- 57lbs. I would fault her conformation some as I think she needs more angulation. I also know several of her litter are doing excellent. (Am I bragging too much?) I LOVE this breed!!!
I am looking for all of that in the dog. I not concerned about color but I do like the liver roan. He has to be a good hunter, hip and thyroid cleared, good temperment and good conformation.
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/16/03, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you. Let us know who you find and when puppies will be on the ground. Ah puppies, so cute, so adorable...
And if you ever get one with a good retrieving instinct but poor hunting instinct, let me know, they make fantastic SAR dogs!
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/17/03, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patsy,

Sounds like you have a promising young dog.

I think before you can decide on a breeding you need to fully evaluate your dog and determine what you feel you want to improve. I notice you use her on birds and (tracking?) big game. What about water work? What about temperament - does she train easily, a bit obstinate, a little soft? Is she a natural retriever? retrieve game unmarked? There are a lot of questions that you will need to answer. I think it is also helpful to get out into a larger group and start measuring your dog in comparison to others. We learn a lot about our own dogs the more we observe other dogs. Its easy to become kennel blind and we ALL can fall prey to that.

Your first stop should be to talk with the original breeder who will know the pedigree and other breeding lines and will have some good thought most likely. There are VERY few quality stud dogs that are a complete package. You will have to make some compromises somewhere. About the only advice I would give anyone is never compromise as far as mental stability and temperament.

Good Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: