German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Deer chasing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Deer chasing Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I still consider myself new to GWP even though I have lived with rescue for nearly 4 yrs. It wasn't until last year that I really got involved in the world of gun dogs. I have been learning how to train my rescue. She is very driven for game contact, however, she likes to chase deer. It is presenting a real problem. I can't tell if she is getting birdy or on deer scent. Today on our first pheasant hunt of the season she was off twice after deer. I could really use some advice. She is too sensitive to use an e-collar. Even if it is set on its lowest setting. I do not know alot about her history, but she was gun shy and we have been able to work her through it. She is very smart. I just don't have enough experience to know how to deal with this problem.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deer chasing is not only annoying, but it can be deadly!!!!!
There may be other ways, but the most effective is to train her off of deer the same way they snake break dogs. With the E-collar!
If your dog is very sensitive, it will probably only take one time to make her hate, and avoid deer for the rest of her life.

When you run her in areas you know there are deer, make sure you have the training collar on her. As soon as you are sure she is tracking, trailing or running deer, hit her hard with the collar , use a high level of stimulation. Don't say a word to her, let the collar do the correction.

she will probably shut down for awhile after the correction, but try your hardest to ignore her and continue hunting. If she tags along behind you, fine. If she heels at your side, fine. Let her figure out it was the "deadly deer smell" that did that to her, not you! Should she come across another deer, watch her closely..... should she perk up and start in for a chase, hit her again! Say nothing. But, should she back away and decide "she ain't going there"... give her a big congratulations and lots of hugs!
Many dogs will never attempt it again, but many will go for a second try, or third..... that's why you need to have a way to "reach out and touch her" from a long distance.

It may seem harsh, but it sure beats the heck out of finding your dog dead on the side of the road. Or never finding her again at all.

Some things just need to be dealt with......
Good luck
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: