German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training at the Nationals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoak

PostPosted: 11/10/03, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Training at the Nationals Reply with quote

Do we as a parent club ,have any rules about training on the grounds prior to the running of the National Field Trial?
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/10/03, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on now!!! I thought that the 4-wheeler tracking and milk-route running were quite entertaining (As long as I kept telling myself, "this is the first time this dog has ever seen these grounds.") Rolling Eyes
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the club has no such rule. If we did have such a rule, most times it would be kinda tough to enforce.

The majority of our events are run on grounds that are heavily used for weekend trials. For instance, Branched Oaks, Ionia, Anderson Ranch - that's midwest, east and west.

There will always be the regional advantage.... one could only hope that everyone tries to play fair and doesn't go and camp out for extended periods of time prior to the event to train extensively. I don't mind someone heading out a couple of days early to get acclimated to completely new territory, but I would mind anyone who would consider camping out to gain unfair advantages.

Just can't imagine anyone doing that or wanting to win that badly.....just wouldn't seem too sportmanslike would it? And it sure would sour a win if it happened that way.

Hope we never have to make "Another rule" to stop that sort of behaviour!
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
bigoak

PostPosted: 11/13/03, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernee, Most breed clubs have this rule-no training on the grounds two weeks prior to the National. This rule would make it fair for all handlers and dogs.
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/13/03, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't an experienced judge be able to see if a dog is familiar with the grounds? Dogs familiar with an area have a tendency to make the ususal "milk run", especially if there is obvious cover for birds. I have seen this back fire on handlers whose dogs skipped from one spot to the next and didn't hunt the grounds. Just wondering....
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/17/03, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if anyone believes this to be an important issue, they should contact their representative on the Field Advisory Committee for the GWPCa and ask that they submit it for discussion. If it is brought to the committee, it will be discussed, and then voted on and if the committee agrees, it will be passed on to the board for their approval or disapproval. If enough think it's something that needs to be addressed, it will be addressed.

Each local club has a "rep" on the committee, and the committee is always looking for input from those that participate.

Should judges be able to tell dogs that are running the "milk route"? One would think so, at least one would hope dogs that were straight lining and not hunting the terrain be penalized. It's hard to say one way or the other without actually seeing the event taking place.

Bernee
windswept

PostPosted: 11/21/03, 1:15 pm    Post subject: training on the grounds Reply with quote

Since there are, in most cases, regional advantages (dogs that live in the area and train on the grounds all the time) then why not let others have a chance to get on the grounds to try to even out the advantage?
bigoak

PostPosted: 11/24/03, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be good for you ,but I don't want to drive half way acrossed the USA and find out some of my competitors have been camped out on the ft grounds for up to three weeks! This is SPORTSMENSHIP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: