German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

buying a puppy out of state without seeing the pup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbird

PostPosted: 11/07/03, 10:59 am    Post subject: buying a puppy out of state without seeing the pup Reply with quote

I see several postings for puppies needed all over the country and outside the country for that matter. What are you thoughts on purchasing a puppy without seeing it in person? Are you just taking a chance, don't really care or are depending on the breeder and their reputation to be the deciding factor? I live in Michigan and I'm looking for a puppy. I have not spent a lot of time looking outside the state because I would like to see the dog. What I have found out is in many cases most of the dogs are already spoken for and I would not have a choice in the litter anyway except for maybe the last two. If I could find a dog out of state with really good lines I may consider buying but how do you really know the lines and if they are good and does it really mean yours will be as good as its parents? Any help would be appreciated

Ken
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/07/03, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Looking for a puppy Reply with quote

Hi,

In response to your post, if you purchase a puppy from a reputable breeder, you should be very happy with your choose. Most breeders are willing to let you see the pedigree on both the sire & dame plus they should have had health testing done prior to breeding.

The GWPCA has a breeder referral list, broke down by state, you should look there as a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Cathy Rolling Eyes
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 11/08/03, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.. it's all down to the breeder. This means you should see paperwork..LOTS of paperwork... You should get a contract and a health guarantee, see copies of the parents health certifications (OFA, CERF, etc.) copies of certifications showing any titles won (conformation, field, performance, whatever) and you should be able to ask to see this stuff BEFORE you buy a puppy.

Find a breeder YOU feel comfortable talking to. If you find someone you like and they don't have a litter at the time, be prepared to wait for a litter from them... or ask them for a recommendation.

Another way is to attend events in your area. Find out when the next NAVHDA meeting is or the next AKC Field Trial. Go there and see who's there who has GWPs or see if anyone there knows anyone with GWPs.

Good Luck and let us know how it's going!

BBAbmin
maverickdvm

PostPosted: 11/09/03, 10:24 am    Post subject: I wouldn't Reply with quote

As a vet, most of the time the people that I see that are very disappointed in their pups(either temperament, natural ability, or health) are people that did not spend any time at the breeders. In my opinion, you need to make sure you "like" the dogs, the set-up, the people. There are some dogs that look great in pictures that I haven't liked when I saw them, mainly either in temperament, coat or movement. Pedigrees, test scores and health clearances are great, but I wouldn't buy a pup without at least going there. The only time you may have a chance to go is when you are supposed to go pick up the pup, but you could still back out then. I just drove to NJ(from Michigan) at midnight on a Sat. night, met the people and dogs, and drove back with a pup on Monday morning. It was a long horrible trip, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. Just my opinion, but I tend to see the worst case scenarios every single day and they leave many people heart broken and disappointed.
superedhawk44

PostPosted: 12/28/03, 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per your question,well..... let me tell you about my experience.

Back in 1986 I was looking for a GWP,saw a add in gundog magazine,and followed up on it,The kennel was located in lincoln nebraska, so I made the contact to inquire about getting a puppy from this breeder,he gladly gave me 5 references to call,sent me pictures of the litter,back ground and titles of the parents.I made my calls everyone seemed pleased with there dogs from this breeder,so from the pic,I choose a pup,a sharp looking male,perfect markings,and two very noticable spots ontop of his head,one brown,one white. I mailed my deposit,everything as far as the transaction went very smooth,the breeder put the pup on a plane and it arrived at logan airport,boston,they called to say the dog had arrived and away I went to pick up my new pal.... upon arrival to the terminal,I found a crate with the breeders name and mine on it,the large tag on the crate stated" do not open,feed" well the dog was missing,after about 1/2 hr trying to find some help,I saw the dog running around the terminal,"chasing a ball" and two guys asked if it was mine,Not to happy about the whole thing ,i reply'd yes,grabbed up the pup,and crate and headed home.
I noticed the pup was covered with stool,very watery looking,I figured probally some stress from the flight or something,got him home cleaned him up,and fed him,wasnt much after that out can the runy stools again,my wife who is a cert vet tech,took notice to this,and said something is not right with this pup,i'll take him to work and run a few tests,well her hunch was right,the pup tested positive for Coccidia,loaded with worms. for months I had trouble putting weight on him,tons of watery stools,well after some time it passed,I had contacted the breeder about this ,his reply," you dont want him,send him back" I told him that wasnt the reason for my calling him,it was to ask about this problem and if other litter mates had this as well,he hung up on me! needless to say he never took a call from me again,and didnt return any either. well to make a long story short(sorry about that)
I enjoy'd this dog alot,temperment was all anyone could ask for,coat was perfect,hated cats,lol after having my friend for 16 yrs,I had to put him down due to his heath,he is truely missed by all of the family, I'm ready for another,this time a nice little bitch if I can ever find one,will I buy unseen again....... NO! when I find another,I will visit the kennel,see the parents ,owner,and facilty pick my pup,and be on my way home.I never want to go through a experience like that again,my hand picking one out,will be alot better choice.

mike
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/28/03, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you can find horror stories wether you go to see the puppies, or don't go. If at all possible I suggest you go to see the breeder and his or her dogs before you make a decision. This may be especially true if you don't know much about the breed.

On the other hand, many breeders don't wish to send pupppies to people they have not met either. Many people sound great in emails and on the phone, but it's not till you meet in person that you really know if they are right for one of your pupppies.

I have had people drive many miles to meet me and my dogs before deciding if they want one of my kids, and I do prefer it that way. It may take some doing, a bit of expense on your part, but heck, we all have to do what we have to do to make sure we are doing right by both the prospective owner and the dogs.

Pick up the phone and talk to breeders, then decide if a trip is worth it to you. You may not see the puppies at that time, but you will know if the type of dog the breeder is putting on the ground is the kind of dog you like. If you like the mom and dad, chances are the kids will fit the bill for you as well.

In fact, I just got off the phone with some perspective new Wire owners. They are coming over in a couple of hours just to see a bunch of Wires in various ages, sizes, colors and temperments. If they purchase a puppy from me in the future (if I like them) great, if not, I certainly can help them decide if the breed is right for them. Or I can help them find a dog that is just right for them.

I don't think it is ever wise to speak with only one kennel or breeder. Even if they are way across the US, give a call, ask questions, you never know!
ENL

PostPosted: 12/31/03, 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualgwp wrote:
I don't think it is ever wise to speak with only one kennel or breeder. Even if they are way across the US, give a call, ask questions, you never know!

Bing-bango-and bongo, Dual! I had my pup sent to me sight unseen but i also knew her lineage inside and out and I liked the breeder. I also enjoyed getting feedback about the lines from both US and German breeders during the process. I had a great experience with asking questions on both sides of the ocean, and getting wonderfully thought out responses until I narrowed the lines down. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the dogs to get in the US and actually breed. Then it was just waiting to get female that I trusted the breeder to judge for temperment (I have a young daughter and more kids might be coming). Now, I wasn't expecting the breeder to take her to all the females to a neighborhood daycare to see how they did with kids, but you get the drift. Also, sometimes I felt like I was being a real pain in the butt with my breeder (heck, with all of you out there that answered questions), but my wife finally pointed out that any responsisbile breeder knows that's their *JOB*. It's work -- and we all deal with pains in the butt at work.

enl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: