German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Lookig for male GWP pup up to 6 months

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lexie

PostPosted: 11/06/03, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Lookig for male GWP pup up to 6 months Reply with quote

Hi I am looking for a male GWP up to 6 months of age I will be using him for breeding so I want a high quality pup with a good pedigree and papers through at least AKC and NAVDHA. Or registerable through these. I will also be using this dog not only for breeding but for hunting, agility, therapy, and many more numerous activities. Thank you!!
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/06/03, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright - this post bothers me a bit so excuse me if I make a comment.

For me, EVERY (6 month old) pup has to prove to me that it is breeding material. No pup is breeding material just by virtue of a pedigree. A six month old pup has an awful lot to prove - physical soundness, coat, temperament, talent, trainability, etc. Good luck with your search but I hope you prove the dog is worthy of breeding first.
Lexie

PostPosted: 11/09/03, 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Jon I have bought dogs in the past for breeding at a young age and found that they were not of breedingquality of course they were altered and found new permenant homes. I just like getting them at a young age so I can train them for and the way I want them. But thanks for the concern!! Very Happy
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/09/03, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, most breeders, or future breeders do buy their dogs as pups, and rely on the parents and the pedigree in making their choice. A good pedigree is usually representative of a pup's quality. Of course, it requires that the purchaser knows what is behind the pedigree, or that he gets the pup from a breeder he can really trust...
But, as you mentioned so rightly Jon, because a 6 months pup even with good papers may not turn out the way the purchaser, and the breeder as a a matter of fact, hoped, a good guarantee is required so that the pup may be exchanged if necessary.
So I guess my question is more whether you know the breed sufficiently to be able to judge a pup by his pedigree? If not, perhapse breeding is something you should put on hold until you do, so that you can be competent in chosing your pup. Furthermore, only once you know the breed well enough will you be abale to evaluate what direction you wish to give your breeding program.
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/10/03, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerio writes:

"Furthermore, only once you know the breed well enough will you be abale to evaluate what direction you wish to give your breeding program."

This statement makes me uncomfortable. If you know the breed, there isn't really all that big a choice if you want to further the breed. The reason that the GWP is a breed in seach of a breeding pool is BECAUSE so many folks are putting their "spin" on what the breed should be.
KJ

PostPosted: 11/10/03, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexi,
The odds of getting a truely remarkable stud dog that is worth breeding are slim, no matter how great the breeding. An excellent litter should give you a great chance at getting a great hunting dog but there is a big difference between a good hunting/test dog and a breedworthy animal. Do you know the breed well enough to know if you have a dog worth breeding or will the fact that it points and retrieves a few birds and that he is a hit at the old folks home be enough?
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I respectfully stick to my position. As a breeder, I can tell you that it is extremely important to develop a vision of what you want to accomplish. No dogs are perfect. Only if you know the breed can you evaluate the true value of the dog you wish to reproduce, only then can you evaluate the faults and qualities of othe dogs around and only then can you decide what dog to use to what female in order to attempt a better dog. In some cases the direction of your breeding program will be to obtain a better coat, whereas in other instences you will be "experimenting" in search of a better head or perhapse a better angulation. If you do not have a breeding program, breeding is reduced to putting 2 dogs together and making puppies, even 2 very good dogs can give terrible pups if they are not well matched. If you do not know the breed, you cannot develop a breeding program in view of improving the breed, if you cannot envision a breeding program, you have no business breeding. There are far too many back yard breeders out there with the sad result of dogs who end up in pounds with serious physical or temperament flaws.
Lexie

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 1:03 am    Post subject: kj Reply with quote

that is why I am choosy about the pup I am looking for I don't want it just for breeding or just for the old folks homes, I want a dog that is multi purpose> has the temperment to be able to do their natural instinct and hunt and have the temperment to beable to do volunteer work I want a dog that meets the wirehaired standards to a tee. Not just some dog I pick up off the streets. Plus I don't breed my dogs until they are old enough to have passed all health tests field tests, etc, the dog must proveto me that it is of breeding quality BEFORE I think about breeding the animal, I breed to better the breed not make money.
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexie, I command you for that.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/11/03, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexi
No one has asked this, so I will. Do you now have, or have you owned GWP's?

If not, then why a GWP? What has drawn you to the breed?

If yes, what lines have you had and what is the direction you are aiming for ?

There are so many questions to be asked and answered before anyone could recommend a puppy to you.

Just curious.....
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
Lexie

PostPosted: 11/19/03, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I haven't been able to get on the site for quite awhile, my computer has a mind of its own. Rolling Eyes I do have a gwp and i am new to them, but i have someone that knows the breed very well and is a breeder/shower for many years to help me start out. It doesn't matter on what lines a person thinks is best even the best lines can produce pups with "duds".
ENL

PostPosted: 12/10/03, 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing bugs the crap out of me. I spent almost two years finding a dog that I could be resonably certain that could hunt the way I wanted...and I had no intention of breeding. She's just turning six months and I'm still trying to figure it out...but this year is a whole playtime event, anyway. The hunting's just for both of our kicks to follow up on her training.

I even e-mailed friends of friends to to help me not only translate the German e-mails while I was learning the DDs and GWPs, but I went far and wide to find out everything I could about every breeder who was in the pool for the lines I wanted in the U.S. once I started figuring it out.

That's just the starter for what gets my craw here...a do-everything dog doesn't mean do, literally, everything Exclamation Exclamation Show? Assist? Hunt? Huh?

Do you want this stud to prove that the bitches don't make their coffee too strong in that line, too?

ENL

...and one more thing...you want to start training the pup at six months Exclamation So you can evaluate it Exclamation Question

Actually, I'll just stop now. I've probably proved that I'm just not rational about the whole line of discussion and I hope it was troll-because-a-serious-breeder-wanted-some-kicks-and-giggles post that kicked this off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: