German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Question about Cold Water Hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furlong

PostPosted: 11/06/03, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Question about Cold Water Hunting Reply with quote

I am an avid hunter and love GWP's because my grandparents bred and raised them for years (show, not hunting). I live in New England and hunt waterfowl through December. My question is at what temperature water would the GWP still be comfortable and a productive retreiver. Would a New England December hunt be too much even if equipped with a thinsulated neoprene vest? I upland game hunt as well and the GWP is THE most versatile dog out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Question
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/06/03, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see one of the Furlongs is continuing the tradition.

I would think that a well coated dog with a vest would have no problem retrieving puddle ducks. I would probably not send the dog to BIG water for an extended chase without knowing that I could recall the dog. The vest will not prevent hypothermia. Just use good sense even if your dog doesn't!!
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/07/03, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can do the job if you use some common sense. Neoprene vest are cut for labs so you might have to custom fit it to your dog but they do help. And you do need to have the ability to call your dog off a retrieve when they get out to far in big water. I hunt mine with an e-collar just for that reason. And if you are hunting on a real cold day or a real windy day you might want to choose a good marsh or smaller water. If most of your hunting is on big water with big waves get a chessy. After almost losing a dog last season on a big lake on a very cold day with ice on a lot of the lake and the wind blowing whitecaps I am staying away from big water on bad weather days. But I will be duck hunting all season with my dogs.
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/09/03, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a hunter, but I am a SAR dog handler. When we go on a search by -40 C. (same at -40 F, this is where the scales meet), we use 2 heating pads we slip in each side of a thin vest the dog wears under his SAR vest. Thes pads are activated by putting pressure on them and gives a low heat for about 8 hours, keeping the dogs warm. Perhaps this could be used when the weather gets too cold?...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: