German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Dog getting sick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 9:39 am    Post subject: Dog getting sick Reply with quote

I have a 9 month old GWP. Recently he has been getting sick in the morning. I wake up at 6:00 am to him throwing up in his kennel. This happens about 3 times a week. He went through a phase like this at 6 months that lasted a couple of weeks. I thought we were over all that but it has started up again. This has been going on for a couple weeks now and I am starting to get really concerned. I am feeding him 2 cups of Nutro dog food for large breed in the morning and at night. Any ideas?
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last dog (not a GWP) used to get morning sickness. Just yellow bile. No other reason than he had an empty stomach.

You might try giving your boy a couple biscuits right before bed and then first thing in the a.m.

Or you could try a different food. When I changed my boy's diet there was no more throwing up in the mornings....or ever.

Illona
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is white in color. I don't know if that means anything.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if that means anything other than just general stomach juices.

Try a couple bedtime biscuits for a few nights and see if that makes any difference.

I give my girl (almost 2 yrs) a biscuit for going to her bed at night. I don't know if this has helped her, but she's only been sick in the mornings twice, and that was for different reasons.

If that doesn't work, before involving a vet, I'd try switching to a different food. If he's otherwise healthy and his food his staying down, it's nothing to be alarmed about...in my books.

Illona - who used to rush the dogs to the vet at any inconsistency, and has learned through those mistakes! Confused
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/06/03, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the biscut thing. Thought we had the problem licked. Until this morning. Back to the drawing board. His 800 pund bag of food is almost gone. I think I will spend some time at k-9 specialties reading packages and try switching food.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/06/03, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out: http://www.doberdogs.com/

This guy has one of the most detailed and exhaustive comparisons of practically every dog food out there -- including cheapo brands, specialty brands, 'natural' brands, prepackaged raw, dehydrated, etc.

An 800-lb bag of food? Okay, now I know you're exaggerating but still, it's often more advisable to buy in medium or smaller bags than even the big 60 lb bags. There's a lot less chance of spoilage (especially when you're getting into the more natural kibbles that don't have all those nasty preservatives) if you open a bag every 4-6 weeks vs. every 3-4 months. It might cost a couple extra bucks in the end, but it's worth it. AND if you do happen to get a bag from a lot that might have had some inconsistencies and problems, you're at least feeding your dog only a few weeks of this slightly 'off' food, not several months. Just a suggestion.

What were you feeding him? I don't remember if you said. It's very likely that it's a reaction to the food, or that the later portion of the bag was spoiling slightly. I'd still stick with the night-time biscuits, and maybe give one first thing in the a.m. too when you get up. I keep a bowl of biscuits on my dresser.

I feed raw, however, the kibble I recommend (from experience) is Innova. It's a higher concentration, higher calorie food (in fact, it's the highest cal. food I've been able to find) which means less required food, less stools, and more absorption. Innova might cost a little more than your Ol' Roy type brands, but it lasts a lot longer because you definitely feed less...and the health benefits are worth the money. You'll probably save in vet bills.

I couldn't feed my current girl Innova because she has issues with chicken (and lamb as well). With lamb she had major flatulence, and bad absoprtion. And with chicken she had hair loss and really gunky ears. Just watch for signs of allergy. Buy small quantity of the new food. Try it, if all seems well continue.

Remember, it can take 10-12 weeks for any new food to actually reveal its affects on your dog. If there are no adverse reactions (coat, itchy paws, gunky ears, continuing diarreah), then continue feeding for at least 3 months to get a proper read as to whether it's the best food for your dog. But if it's really minor stuff, I'd say give it time. The body needs time to adjust, especially depending on what you were feeding before.

And I'd say stay with the biscuits. It sounds as though it worked for a while right? Have you tried Northern Biscuits? (not sure if they're available in the States) My girl would kill for them, and there's not a lot of junk in them. I'd be going as natural as possible with this boy and his sensitive stomach. Keep the ingredients simple and natural.

FWIW,
Illona
abbyw

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 8:27 am    Post subject: How much food a day for my pup? Reply with quote

Hi. I currently feed my puppy Innova. She is 7 months old and seems to do really well with it. My question is how many cups a day should she be getting. She weighs about 35 pounds right now. We have been feeding her 4 cups a day of the puppy Innova because she is pretty skinny. However the Innova bag says something like 2 cups a day for her weight and age. Am I over feeding her? I read that Innova is more concentrated than other foods. She definitely isn't getting fat on what we are feeding her that is for sure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: