German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Is it always this bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/03, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndianaMitch,

I don't care what anyone says about coat...I think you've got a stunning girl! Thanks for sharing the picture.

I use a comb similar to the one mentioned in an earlier -- made my Hartz I think, smooth metal teeth about 1 1/2" long. Looks like a flea comb with bigger teeth and slightly wider. It's got a nice sturdy handle. It works wonders at taking the big and small burrs out of my girl's beard and coat.

She gets into the tiny burrs so badly, her ears stick to the top of her head sometimes! We take the comb with us and will take out burrs as we go. They're easy to comb out but you've gotta be firm with the comb.

I've wondered about using a light coat of vaseline over her face to help deter the burrs when we're on long hikes, but washing this out would be a pain. I had someone recommend to me a horse product: ShowSheen or somethign similar. Apparently you sprai it on, and it's very slick. I haven't looked into it yet.

What works best for us is to have the comb along for the ride when we go.

FWIW,
Illona
Indiana Mitch

PostPosted: 10/27/03, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... after a few days in South Dakota and another trip to the woodcock spots, the burrs are not much of a problem. Almost all the "long" hair on her head is gone and she's less fuzzy from head to toe.

She worked hard in SD and encountered a skunk, which just missed getting her entire face. Her beard stinks a little when it's wet... but overall she was lucky. So was I, come to think of it. My lab got sprayed years ago and she stunk forever and getting rid of that smell was a real hassle.

Sophie made a nice point on woodcock Saturday and also made a couple of nice retrieves from the really thick stuff.

She's not as pretty as she was a few weeks ago... but she certainly looks more like a true bird dog. Minor scars, bumps and bare spots... just about everywhere! <g>
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana Mitch wrote:
She's not as pretty as she was a few weeks ago... but she certainly looks more like a true bird dog. Minor scars, bumps and bare spots... just about everywhere! <g>

Sounds like a GWP to me, Mitch! My girl never comes out of the woods unscathed. Smile

Earlier this summer my vet (who also owns GWPs) needed to take a blood sample from Matea, and didn't need to clip any hair. He just chose the least scabbed leg!

But you know what... she's coming onto 2 yrs old, and she's getting less and less injuries in the field. I think she's finally getting it...

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: