German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

remote trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/09/02, 10:24 pm    Post subject: remote trainer Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am wanting to get your thoughts on the use of a remote trainer. I have a 6 month old female gwp am wanting to use it for the 'come' command. She actually does pretty good and always checks in on our runs, but takes her time about it. She has also been know to just decide not to listen and instead take off, albeit only for a quick run around the yard before she comes back. I have not done much for formal bird training yet but would love to get her more disciplined. I am thinking it will be used later for the "whoa' command as well. Any feedback would be much appreciated again--
Thanks-
Jen
markgwp

PostPosted: 12/13/02, 10:16 am    Post subject: remote trainers reply Reply with quote

I have used an e collar set on the absolute lowest nick on my 6month old.
I have been criticised for doing so but I have made absolute sure that the pup understands the command before putting the collar on her. I think each puppy's temperment needs to be evaluated first. A stronger pup will not react negatively to the collar as much as a more timid pup. But no matter what kind of pup you have you MUST NOT over use the collar. I have never seen nor heard of a dog that has been ruined by a collar if the collar is used properly (i.e. temperment evaluation, lowest level, don't over use etc.) You will probably hear differntly by others, I can't speak for them. It's like all training techniques.... some like one way some like another.
Good luck with you puppy. The sure are fun
Mark
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/13/02, 8:37 pm    Post subject: My thoughts FWIW Reply with quote

Train your pup and it is, without the collar. I believe, before a person uses an e-collar he/she should have a firm understanding on what it takes to train a gun dog before they even consider burning them. With my pups they start wearing electronics around four months of age, with the transmitter in the case until I feel they are mature enough and trained well enough to start burning them. Now don't take me wrong here, by burning I mean everything from a very low level burn to trash breaking burns. This is not stimulation, it is all about control and that control is based on the level of burning it takes the dog, after it has learned commands to obey them. There are basically two methods of training with an e-collar or a combination of both, and they are direct and indirect pressure. If you haven't heard about them, my thoughts are the transmitter should stay in the case. Just my two coppers.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/15/02, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you decide to use an e collar on a 6 month baby dog, please consider that this is a baby! He is now just beginning to relize what his world is all about. If you have this dog as a hunting dog, you surely will want him to have a sense of independence and confidence in himself.

One other thing to remember, once you start to use the collar as a training tool, many people get lazy and think the thing is a cure all! Yes, they work, and will get your point across, but you shouldn't rely on them for every little problem that arises. If you do, you will end up with a very mechanical dog that certainly will do what it is "told"to do, but will never be a happy worker.

Teaching a 6 mos oldto come when called is time consuming and sometimes very frustrating... but it will be the foundation for all of your future rapport with your dog. He has to "want" to come in to you as well as know he "has" to come.

Take your time and keep the collar in the box for now. Relax, you will have plenty of time to use it in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: