German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

pet shop wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/21/03, 8:22 am    Post subject: pet shop wire Reply with quote

I recently met a young couple who have a gwp, since they had never seen any others they really enjoyed meeting all of mine.

I asked them where they bought their pup.... and surprise, from a pet shop in St. Petersburg FL. I was so shocked that I asked them to get me a copy of the pedigree on the pup.

Well, I got it yesterday and there are a bunch of pretty well known dogs in there... one Dual Ch, a National Field Champion, several show Ch's.

The breeder is not a member of the gwpca, so we can't do much there. But the pedigree came with a stamp on it from Lambriar Inc, a pretty well known puppy mill from MO. You may have heard of the Hunte Corp.?

Moral of the story.... when you are selling your pupppies, you better make sure you know where they are going, and have something in your contract stating that no puppies from a breeding of this puppy may be sold in pet shops. Not that that will stop them, but if they do, and if you find out, at least you "may" have some sort of legal leg to stand on.

This particular boy is in a great home, but he was very ill when they bought him and spent a ton getting him healthy. Heavens only knows where his littermates ended up.

Breeders, be careful! Wire puppies are awful darn cute.........

Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/22/03, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernee - thanks for the post on this subject. I don't think a lot of people realize where these pet shop puppies come from. I am a member of a westie rescue group and the Hunte Corporation name comes up quite often. Pretty sad that there has to be people like this out there.

Please only buy from reputable breeders!

Ann
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/19/03, 9:35 am    Post subject: Breeder Heads Up Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:
Along those same lines this came across one of the other lists. I am taking out the names as I worry about internet rumors and don't want to be a part of it.

However, the internet can in this case also be a valuable tool in thwarting puppy mills. I know how much care breeders take to make sure there dogs don't go to places like this and I want to help if possible.

Here's the post:
"It has just been posted on the Michigan Rescue List that (a couple), from Bruce Crossing, MI which is in Ontonagon County,
have been granted a $118,000.00 loan to build onto their current
structure to house 330 breeding dogs which will enable them to sell
2,000 puppies a year to not only pet shops but people looking for pups.
The name of their Kennel operation is Wuolo Creek Kennels. The total
cost of this project will be over $300,000.00."

I'm told at this point they only deal in small breeds. However, with their increased space they may want to expand to larger breeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: