German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Update on GWP at the shelter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/15/03, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Update on GWP at the shelter Reply with quote

OK - here is an update on the "lost dog" saga. The owner didn't claim the GWP at the Humane Society so he is now the newest member of our household. We are so fortunate ....he a great dog. Turns out he is only 18 months old and has turned many a "hunting enthusiasts'" head in the area - who say "Do you realize what you have?"

Baron weighs 65 lbs (right now) and stands high enough that his nose is level with my countertop without reaching up to "snif" (good thing he has great manners). He lasted 1 1/2 days in my dad's outdoor kennel before my children convinced me to bring him home.

I've never seen such a calm, well-behaved and affectionate dog. He and the yellow lab are getting along great (although the lab seems extremely silly compared to this GWP). We are indeed lucky and feel for the owners who obviously lost a great dog. I'll be on this board a lot looking at all the advice.
abbyw

PostPosted: 09/17/03, 5:14 am    Post subject: Congrats! Reply with quote

I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you took him into your home! I had read some of the previous posts and I felt so bad for him. You won't be sorry that you decided to keep him. His previous owners don't know what their missing! I have a 4 1/2 month old GWP and we love her to death. She is my first GWP and I don't think we would ever get another breed after this! Good luck! Very Happy
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/17/03, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He and the yellow lab are getting along great (although the lab seems extremely silly compared to this GWP).

Give Baron a little time - he may very well catch up to the lab in silliness, this is a breed that is known to have 'clownish' personalities. Both of mine have thier moments.

Thanks for giving Baron a good home.
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/18/03, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soni just a thought for you to consider. Your new pup may decide to go hunting on his own. If he is a GWP the Prey Drive may not be high enough to put him over your fence, but if he is a VDD Drahthaar I would expect him to be out and about the first time he is left alone in the yard. If he gets out it will be because he wants to go hunting and he may find your neighbor's cat to be the only game in town. For starters I would suggest that you do not give him free unsupervised run of the yard, (regardless of how high your fence is) and that you have an ID collar (with your telephone number on it) on him right now.
cheerio

PostPosted: 09/20/03, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation on your decision to make this wonderful dog a member of your family. I wish you a long road with this new companion.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/25/03, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Dave1967 was Right About Fence Jumping Reply with quote

Yes, Baron did get out of the 6 foot high kennel and then gracefully sailed over the 4 foot fence in the backyard the very first time he was left alone in the yard with the lab. Fortunately, my husband was nearby and Baron ran right to him.

We have a microchip in his shoulder and tags so we don't plan to lose him. And, we won't leave him in the yard alone. (I should've read these posts earlier!)

It is difficult to judge what Baron knows and doesn't know. We do know that he heels off-leash and is housebroken (and in addition to jumping over the fence, he also showed me that he knows how to lift the latch on the chainlink gate). He knows other basic commands, he also recognizes ATV's, pick-up truck and responds to the sounds of gunshots at a nearby shooting range. We will have to check out the Hunting posts to learn more about working with him.

Appreciate your support - I would never have imagined that we would be so fortunate to have such a dog in our lives.
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/27/03, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Bring them Home Reply with quote

Soni You and your husband may want to try some variation of the following. I always tap the car horn when I pull into the driveway and then go in an play with my dog for a few minutes, as soon as possible, after I get home from being away i.e., work, shopping or what ever. I also tap the horn before we load the dogs to take them anywhere. It is not long before the dogs connect the horn with fun and games. On those occasions when one of them gets out of the yard I am able to bring her home by honking the horn. There have been times where I have driven around the neighborhood honking the horn until the dog comes running out of someone's back yard. I just get out and open the tailgate and the dog jumps in ready to go play. I have used the horn to bring a self-hunter back to the car when she has gone off on her own. It is a simple and easy recall method that can pay big dividends. Just be sure you never get mad at the dog for being out when they do respond to the horn.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/28/03, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Dave! I never would have thought of that one and it makes so much sense!

Ann
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/28/03, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car horn is a good idea. Another method is a whistle command. I use two blasts for here and my dogs know what that means, well, most times anyway Wink I have a 12 yr. old GSP that tests me to the max with here, but when I start the truck it doesn't take long and she comes around. No doubt it is selective hearing for the old girl but she has paid her dues big time.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soni....I'm a little late boarding this particular thread, but let me add my congratulations on your new addition. Just about brought tears to my eyes.

And welcome to the GWP forum. This is a great bunch of people...with great experience! You'll learn everything you need to know.

I too have a GWP rescue, and am now a wire-convert! I can't imagine owning anything else (well, excpet maybe a Spinone...wishful thinking). With Baron in the family I'm sure in no time you're going to be wondering why you ever got a lab! Wink

I'm so glad Baron has settled in with your lab girl. That's awesome news. These are smarty-pants dogs, these GWP, so be ready! You already learned about the fence! And now that Baron's learned about it, you can bet he's going to try again.

Hunting drive is a whole new ball game -- especially if you've been living with a silly lab. You're going to have to learn how to work with it. I'm new to GWPs as well, and in the 15 mos I've had Matea, I've learned a lot about a hunter's nature, a pointer's instinct and drive, and what it takes to keep them happy and entertained, exercised and healthy. They can be a challenge but every second is worth it.

And Dave - excellent suggestion about the car horn! I use a whistle in my training, but the car horn is a good one! Of course, my neighbors won't like me. But then, I don't like them either. Confused

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: