German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Multi- sired litter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorsey

PostPosted: 09/14/03, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Multi- sired litter? Reply with quote

I just read a post on the versatile dogs list that AKC will register multi sired litters, I've never heard about this before and I was wondering if anyone on this board can explain how these dogs can be registered and do breeders tell their puppy buyers that two males sired the litter?

Wouldn't the pups have characteristics of both sires?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/15/03, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsey
If you read the thread on Versatilddogs... then you should have seen the links that were on there that can lead you to the registration process.

Once the pups are born, they (along with sires and dam) need to be DNA'd and then once parentage is established they will be registered as such.

Each egg from a bitch can only be fertilized by one sperm, therefore, the puppies will have only 2 parents, not three. So, basically, no the pups will not have characteristics of all three, just two.

I certainly would hope that anyone doing a breeding like this would be upfront with potential buyers, there really would be no reason not to be. It's legal, just a new concept.

Hope that helps
Dualgwp
Bernee Brawn
justagwps
Dorsey

PostPosted: 09/15/03, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a litter advertised that had two sires or ever heard of a litter where you could chose a pup from either sire. Is this practiced by many gwpca breeders?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/16/03, 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "dual sired litter" thing, is fairly new. Well, let me change that. Being legal, and having the pups dna'd and then registered with the appropriate sire is new.

I would guess that there have been more than one "dual sired litter" in most breeds at any given time. In the past, no one would do it on purpose or admit to it when it happened. It was an accident.

Now, we can do it, and do it legally and be upfront about it. Better for the dog buying public, better for the breeders.

I only know of one gwp breeding to date that has taken this approach and the puppies have not yet been born. It will be interesting to look at the babies to see if anyone can guess who is who beforre the dna tests are done. This particular breeder is being very upfront about what they have done, and I am certain that all prospective owners will be made aware of "why" it was done.

time will tell
Dualgwp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: