German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hickox training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/10/03, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Hickox training Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with Hickox methods. Just got Vol I & II on video and I am a little confused at what pace he his doing theese session. In the tape it seems like he has a dog kennelling in five minutes then gos to come and then to whoa on the board all in one session. Do I precieve this correct or am I missing something. My dog knows all the commands, wether or not he obeys them is another issue, thats what I'm hoping to gain with this program, he is gun conditioned, he points, chases and retrives so so. I dont think I need to put him on a table and stroke him to get the word whoa into his head, I dont think I have to let him chase any more birds to fire his instincts. He is 6 months old and I think I could start with the show pup of kennell and continue from there. I understand his directions OK but a little confused about the sessions. His program sounds a lot like the ones in Dobbs pointing dog library but a little different order. You cant e-mail him questions unless you join his club for $22.00 a year or I suppose you could attenda seminar. What is your take on the program.
Seems like it will work well and he starts them at 6 months old.
Kyser
juswanrn

PostPosted: 09/18/03, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Hickox Training Reply with quote

I have not been to his seminars, but my husband has been to two of them. Actually, George starts out training practically when the dog can walk.

It is a progression to work through each step and each of the areas, could take weeks or months to get through. Working the whoa boards are done until you have mastered them, i.e, the dog will automatically stop when stepping onto the board and will not move off of them until released.

Collar conditioning is the first major step and is very important. Not sure how much he covers that in the tape. Collar conditioning is what you are preparing the dog for in practicing the kennel command. Again, collar conditioning will not happen until the dog masters the kennel command. Kennel command is only for the purpose of collar conditioning and of course, a command to use for everyday.

Take his class if you can, it's well worth it if you intend to train your dog yourself.

We've not training bird dogs at this level before and it's working quite well for us.

Sherry
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/18/03, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,
I have done the kennel collar conditioning and I was amazed how fast he picked that up. now I have started on the come command but that isnt quite as productive but it is working. Im trying to do things with the collar that arent training related so he doesnt get "collar wise". The first time I put it on him I took him for a ride in the truck, now when I put it on him and go outside he runs for the truck. Boy he learned that in one lesson.
Gotta love 'em
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: