German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New GWP Owner Joins the Forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indiana Mitch

PostPosted: 09/10/03, 7:19 pm    Post subject: New GWP Owner Joins the Forum Reply with quote

Greetings all,

My name is Mitch and I'm a Bird Huntin' Fool (BHF) that's never lived anywhere but Northwest Indiana... where hunting for pheasant and/or quail means lots and lots of walking... with very little shooting. Now and then, things get better... or we have a lucky day and take our limit... but mostly we walk and dream about headin' West in the Fall.

Through a strange series of events, back in December, I became the "owner" of a sweet little GWP the breeder called "Queenie" and I renamed Sophie. This is my first GWP and now I understand why so many websites describe them (and the DD) as clowns.

What a great sense of humor these dogs have... and I'm amazed at their intelligence. I've trained a FT lab... and a fine GSP... and helped out with quite a few other dogs... and I honestly think the GWP (at least the one I'm feeding) may be the smartest dog I've ever dealt with. I won't waste your time with details... you probably have 10 stories for every one that I could tell.

So... I just wanted to say "Hi" and post a photo or two of Sophie. I'll post questions and thoughts on other threads so this note isn't WAY too long.

Little Sophie at 6 months old.

Such a cute (ugly) dog!

This is Sophie and me shortly after the first time I let her run at a nearby preserve. I didn't have any birds released... since the owner and I are good friends and he just lets me know when there might be some leftovers.

Sophie found 3 very dead quail from the previous day's activities. First she pointed them... but after a little coaxing from me, she learned to fetch them up on my command.

A little later, she crowded two pheasants which flushed noisily and headed for Wisconsin (or so it looked). I allowed her to chase, while I kept my mouth shut and let her figure out she can't catch those things. A "training habit" that has served me well in the past.

A little while later, she pointed (quite nicely and for about one minute) a rooster which I flushed and dispatched with my little 28 gauge. With very little prodding from me, she made an acceptable retrieve.

That seemed like a good time to head back to the truck and take a photo or two, while reminding Sophie what a good dog she was.

Thanks for listening to this proud new GWP owner and lover.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/10/03, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking dog Mitch, the facial marking look a lot like my pups. The wife keeps wanting to cut the hair in front of his eyes but I wont let her.
Best of luck with your new pal. I'm on my first GWP also and I'm totally sold.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 09/11/03, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that head shot picture. Cool looking dog.
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/11/03, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great looking dog. Welcome to the board.
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/11/03, 6:44 pm    Post subject: re pics Reply with quote

Your Sophie looks like my Angus,he just isn't as fuzzy .
Enjoy your dog.I know I do.
oacona

PostPosted: 09/12/03, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to add to the "congrats, great looking pup, and enjoy". She looks a lot like our Kona, who is the funniest, smartest, best loved dog ever in our lives (in the world, if you ask us). They are a blast - hunt with such a passion, and return the love in like form - Kona just can't get enough, and would survive on only bird scent and our praise and petting. Enjoy every minute - they're wonderful.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/13/03, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mitch,
Now your hooked enjoy the ride.

She is a beauty for a hairy faced girl LOL Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: