German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Considering Adoption of GWP-his days limited at the shelter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/04/03, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Considering Adoption of GWP-his days limited at the shelter Reply with quote

While driving through the country, I came across a GWP who was obviously not where he belonged - he was exhausted, thin and thrilled to see my car. I picked him up and took him to the local Animal Shelter. I can't believe nobody has claimed him - he appears to be a great dog (only 1-3 years old) (even though I've been around him only a short time) His "decision day" (to be put down or to be put on the adoption list) is Monday, Sept. 8.

If he is not claimed, I'm considering adoption but have a 2 year old female yellow lab at home. Issues? I also have 3 teens which won't be a problem. We have a large fenced yard and my husband and son would like to hunt. I'm concerned about introducing the spoiled lab to the GWP.

Help is appreciated - I don't want to see a fine dog like this put down and we could give him a fine home. How adaptable are these dogs with other breeds?
captaincrunch14

PostPosted: 09/05/03, 1:05 am    Post subject: I'm interested Reply with quote

Shoot me an e-mail as I'm interested in adopting the GWP at the shelter.

B_Matney@msn.com
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/05/03, 9:39 am    Post subject: Considering Adoption Reply with quote

Soni,

Depending on how much exposure the wire has had to other dogs, he should do fine. Both my wires get along with all dogs, I run them in the field with weims, vizlas & pointers.

Just try to introduce them on neutral territory, possible at the shelter.

Good Luck!
cheerio

PostPosted: 09/05/03, 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs are such fantastic animals!...
I have often rescued, and each and every time, the rescue dog blossoms within weeks, sometimes days, as if the spoiled one of this house were telling the rescue: "It's alright, the service is good here, you'll get food and cuddles and fun and meds!"
Each and every time also the spoiled dogs of this domaine will take pitty on the rescue, will lick their soars, will show him the way. There is always one who seems to elect himself for the great job of care giver, for the big responsibility of guide and guardian. The more needy the rescue the easiest it is for the others to accept him.
Dogs are really such fantastic animals...
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/05/03, 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wonderful booklet called "Feeling Outnumbered? Managing and Enjoying Your Multiple Pet Household". It talks you through the first introduction and so on. It is available at this site:

http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/

If you do adopt welcome to the site and congratulations! That is very kind of you.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/05/03, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much - I feel better. He seems so friendly at the Humane Society even with all the chaos around him. And, since I turned him in - I feel obligated to make sure he is taken care of.

I was reading some of the posts about aggression issues with GWP and started doubting my initial decision to rescue him and whether he and the lab would be compatible. Fortunately, the lab loves other dogs. If the owner doesn't claim him, he'll have a great home. (My family is thrilled)

Will keep you posted - thanks for the advice and support!
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 09/06/03, 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend the book "Second Hand Dog" by Carol Lea Benjamin. Super book about taking on the responsibility of a rescue dog.. helps you understand how to deal with any baggage he may have from his previous life.

Beyond that ... yes.. rescue him!
cheerio

PostPosted: 09/06/03, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bbadmin, this book is a true bible.
troutdog

PostPosted: 09/10/03, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soni,
What has hppened to this dog? I am interested in adopting him. Can you please contact me?
Thanks,
Keith Hunter
troutdog@rof.net
(970)925.6596
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/14/03, 8:50 am    Post subject: What has happened to the GWP Reply with quote

Keith - I wanted to let you know that we have settled in with the GWP - his name is Baron Von Jeigermeister ("Bear") for short. We're learning more about him - he is a comedian and very intelligent. He is showing us that he has had training and we continue to work with him.

Baron has quickly become a truly wonderful member of our family (and the hit of my son's cross country team). The spoiled yellow lab loves her new friend and they get along great - we have had to inact a "no wrestling" rule in the house. My husband, who was pretty hesitant about bringing Baron home, is "most impressed" with Baron - and it isn't easy to get my husband to be impressed at anything other than a labrador.

After taking Baron to a Cross Country meet, I had a gentleman who coordinates search and rescue dogs ask if we'd be interested in training him in that field - I don't know - we're so new to the breed. Any thoughts?

Baron has really opened my eyes - I didn't realize that these dogs were even in existence and I can't say enough about how lucky we are to have found him.

Keith - I will keep my eyes open in this area in case another GWP needs rescuing and let you know. I'll be sure to put up a post if something comes up. Thanks for asking and best wishes on finding your buddy.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/15/03, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a fantastic idea to do SAR work with Baron. It sounds like with the training he's had he would have quite a jump start on the training.

Cheerio did SAR work with her wire. I think she'll have a lot of good insight.
cheerio

PostPosted: 10/15/03, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I have been involved in SAR since I was 15, and I have worked with 3 different breeds, mostly the Belgian Shepherd. But never have I had a dog so easily trained than my GWP. She picked up things in no time. Her retrieving instinct and her goofy happy attitude made each search a real game. She was wonderful to look at. She also was a rescue and lived to please us.
I do have a word of caution however, depending on where you are and the type of search you intend to do, the hardest thing to overcome with this breed is...their hunting instinct! You cannot have a dog who, in a middle of a search forgets his task only to follow the local rabbit or the dear passing by. Lukily, my GWP was so abused when we first got her that she thought I was the best thing on earth, even before birds and game, and even cats for the most part, so her natural instinct was not too hard to kick. But if your dog has a strong pray drive, you will have to work hard if you intend to search the bushes and the forests.
Good luck and do give it a try. Not only it is fun for you and for the dog, the local authorities are always in need of good volunteer SAR dogs...
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/21/03, 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2181107

there have been a couple of wire listed on petfinder in the past days.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/22/03, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to think about S&R for Baron. When he is focused on a stray cat, squirrel or rabbit, it is very difficult to break his concentration. Thanks for the advice. The man who asked me if we'd be interesting in training Baron for S&R asked if Baron had a favorite toy that he would go nuts to work for and I have to admit - not really (but if a squirrel were on the other end of a toy - you bet!)
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/23/03, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soni - if you do decide to to SAR with Baron just be prepared to spend hours and hours each and every week in the field training him. We do AKC tracking which is similar to search and rescue although not near as important and I would say to start out we are in the field 1-2+ hours every single day of the week. After the initial phase (about 6 weeks) we are out approximately 2-3 days a week for several hours and then when we get together as a group it is probably 4-6 hrs one day each week-end.

I would think SAR would be a very satisfying thing to do but it does take extensive work and training.

Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: