German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

I wish I had known, when I got a puppy....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/29/03, 2:48 pm    Post subject: I wish I had known, when I got a puppy.... Reply with quote

Ok everybody! I have an idea for a string that will help all new GWP owners that look at the site and will help me in creating my new puppy kindergarten class. If you can think back that far, what do you wish you had known when you got your first puppy? (Or, what were you really glad you were told?)

Examples can be things like:
I wish I had known about clicker training
I was really glad I was told to handle the pup’s paws a lot
I wish I had known how to reduce the risk of aggression

Thanks everybody!

P.S. If you have always adopted older rescue dogs don't ignore this string. Your input can be the most valuable of all. What do you wish the pups first owners had known/done?

Anne
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/30/03, 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful idea for a new theread: What do I wish I had known?...so many things, so many many things...

I wish I had known that putting my dog on my bed would mean losing most of the bed for the rest of my sleeping life.

I wish I had known that paw prints on a white T-shirt is just not washable.

I wish I had known that it is impossible to love a dog as much as he loves us.

I wish I had known that 2 dogs is more than twice the work, and 3 dogs is more than 3 times the work.

But most of all, being the dreamer that I am, I wish I had known that looking directly in the eyes of my dog would feel my heart with so much peace and so much love, that I would never be able to let go...
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/01/03, 10:37 pm    Post subject: I wish I had known, when I got a puppy.... Reply with quote

Wow I have to be at work in an hour I dont think I have enough time for the wished I would have known..
(with milli my first GWP)
I wish I had known how to make her stop eating my furniture

I wish I had known about clicker training (never heard of it before this site)

(Deja)
I wish I knew more on how to leash train, but im reading

The information on this site is great.. I have learned so much, and now that I have this pup (who has bonded with my wife denise instead of me due to my work hours) Im sure the questions will continue.. Thanks guys.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/04/03, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,
I'm not sure I can come up with many "I wish I knews..." because I'd been-there-done-that, and just got really lucky with my GWP rescue girl. We did just about everything right, and she's turned out awesome (20 mos old now).

However, I will say that the one thing that is the MOST important IMO, is that new pup owners be consistent, that they have a plan of attack before the pup comes home.

I live with my partner and a 6 yr old. I drilled them with the commands that were to be used, how they were to be applied, and when to use them. In fact, we ended up posting a list of the commands we were teaching Matea so there would be no crossed wires.

When a pup enters a family of more than one, I think it's very important that everyone is on board with the commands to be used. Also, the rules should be listed on the fridge as well -- i.e. what the pup is and isn't allowed to do (couch, bed, boundaries, chase the cat, etc.).

Lists, man...they're SO helpful, especially if you have kids and a forgetful spouse!

Illona
trailtrotter

PostPosted: 09/10/03, 11:13 am    Post subject: wish I know about positive training Reply with quote

I wish I had trained our first rescue GWP with positive techniques. We did a lot of jerk and pull training and she was so sensitive (GWPs are, you know) I think it really undermined her confidence. She was always afraid of making a mistake.

Have used all positive with the new puppy and she's a happy and confident girl. Positive is slower and there were times, I knew I could just put a choke chain on her and get her to comply really quickly but resisted the urge and I'm so pleased with the results.

It's difficult for someone who has trained compulsivly to go to all positive but the results are worth it. A happy happy dog.

Deni
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/11/03, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies and please keep them coming. I love the idea of lists for the fridge. I'm going to make them for my classes so all they have to do is fill in the blanks.

I would also love to add quotes here and there throughout the workbook. I will be PMing people for permission.

Deni -

Thank you for your thoughts on positive training. I think we all have those moments
Quote:
I could just put a choke chain on her and get her to comply really quickly
but the compliance is pretty short lived.

My experience is in the long run you will have a much more compliant, reliable dog, particularly off leash, using positive training techniques. As you mentioned it is also much less stressful for the dogs. This means a better bond with the handler and a more confident, enthusiastic dog. (My favorite kind to work with)

[/quote]
mtnlvn

PostPosted: 12/26/05, 6:20 pm    Post subject: I wish I had known Reply with quote

1. That this website was here six weeks ago!
2. That taking my puppy for a car ride would calm him down.
3. That convincing my fiance (who owns a Schnauser puppy) that "it is the actions of the dog, not the size that is important!" would be so hard. The difference between his puppy misbehaving and my puppy misbehaving is size!
4. That it takes time to get a pup to think of you as anythng but a littermate/chewtoy.
5. That six weeks old might be too soon to take a puppy.
6. That the advice a friend gave me upon hearing I had a GWP of "beat him, beat him now!" was as wrong as could be.
7. That getting two puppies approximately the same age at the same time in one household is not a good idea--it is time consuming, frustrating, and they are likely to bond more strongly with each other than the people who love them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: