German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training dog to hold bird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/15/03, 5:37 am    Post subject: Training dog to hold bird Reply with quote

We are having trouble with our dog Jake. He is 14 months old. He retrieves well but won't hold the dummy till my husband says to drop it. He drops it before we tell him to. Any suggestions?

Butterfly
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/15/03, 6:41 am    Post subject: Hold Reply with quote

I start basic force fetching with the command Hold. First start with opening your dogs mouth and placing a gloved hand in it palm down. Your opposite hand is around the dogs collar. Say NOTHING until the dogs accepts your hand without struggling. Ity is very important at this point to never let the dog win by you taking out your hand. As soon as your dog accepts your hand, say hold, and take your hand out of his mouth. I leave the hand and move on when I can say hold and as I am gently trying to pull my hand out of his mouth my dogs resist and want to hold. Also add your release command after the first session of hold with the hand. I then move on to a wooden dowell, bumpers, 2 and 3 lb. padded wrist weights, frozen bird, fresh killed bird, and finally a live bird. Take your time with whatever you choose to use but please make sure your dog is holding well before moving on to the next item.

The training of hold and force fetch is easier on your back if the dog is at waist height. I use a 2' wide x 16 ft. long training table which I like to have my dogs walk up and down with whatever object they have in their mouth at the time, but a pick up box tailgate will work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 08/17/03, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post Bob. Just to add a few points It sounds as though your following the Dobbs technique which worked great for me on my 2 dogs. Anyways Dobbs has a website with Force Fetch techniques listed. you just follow the steps. as Vom Britt has gotten you started on the "hold" command this is a good start. Go to there website print off the force fetch training and get started and dont stop half way thru finish otherwise you are creating more problems. good luck
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/17/03, 10:44 pm    Post subject: hold and force fetch Reply with quote

Brandon, yes I use the Dobb's method for hold. But have tweaked the FF from other well known trainers like Rick and Delmar Smith and especially Mike Lardy. Old school thinking that one has to finish what you start when force fetching (not hold) is just that IMO. When a person, whether a pro or a novice is struggling with FF, sometimes they are better off, backing off on the FF pressure and then continueing FF at a later time. One just may be amazed at the results. Also, some old schoolers say when force fetching to only concentrate on the FF. Mike Lardy says it best, something like, continue to train but don't enforce any fetch commands until the dog is broke. Makes sense to me.
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 08/19/03, 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting I have not heard of Mike Lardy. Although I beleive the Delmar Smith method and the Dobbs are pretty similar I would be interested in reading something about Lardy. I was told by a pro to stop doing FF a couple weeks before the NA test 2 weeks ago because he said that your dog could tune you out and not fetch at all so I stopped all FF work and really had no problems at all. So I started working him again on the table going back to fetch etc. etc. but he really holds things in his mouth very softly when on the ground sometimes he will drop the buck on the way back to me so I have been working on that just taking things real slow taking my time.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/21/03, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Mike Lardy Reply with quote

Brandon, I am not surprized you have never heard of Lardy. He is from Montello Wi. and is probably the most famous retriever pro on the circuit. Since I play NAVHDA games, I figured I could learn something from a retriever guy. His three three set series of tapes Total Retriever Training, I highly recommend, along with his E-collar conditioning tape, and another three set series, Total retriever Marking.

That pro gave you great advice. Why were you force fetching your dog before a NAVHDA Natural Ability test?
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 08/21/03, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had gone up to his place a couple of times for some training sessions and for him to eval my dogs. Kaiser was doing ok on pointing and the pro told me that he thought I could have both dogs force broken b\4 the August 31st test in WI. I found a NAVHDA chapter closer to the Twin Cities that was holding a NA\UT test a couple weeks earlier and luckily got in before the WI test so my time to get both dogs FF was shortened. But It took me longer to get the job done regardless, and I am really not in a hurry so now I have 1 dog thats pretty broke and 1 thats gettin there!! My prob is the wire holds things really loose in his mouth and tends to be sloopy but we are making progress. I am waiting to do water work last. But I would be interested in those tapes if you could point me in the right direction! thanks
Autumn Breeze Kennels is where I have been going in St Francis,MN
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/22/03, 7:49 am    Post subject: Mike Lardy Reply with quote

Brandon,

If you do a sight search for Mike Lardy or Younglove Broadcast Services, you should be able to find out how to purchase his tapes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: