German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

I have my girl!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/08/03, 7:38 pm    Post subject: I have my girl! Reply with quote

and I am in heaven! She is 6 years old, a little shy, and very very fat. She is also very affectionate, submissive to my other dogs, seems to have a huge need to please and she is very very fat. I guess none of this is her fault. My neighbour, who works with the human Society happened to mentioned that he had to seize a dog yesterday in a farm, because after 3 warnings, no improvement had been made in the life condition of this poor girl: She was kept behind the barn on a 3' chain, having to lay in her own poops. "She goes after my turkeys" said the farmer. Really? a bird hunter goes after his turkeys? What will we see next?
Anyway, this girl was fed, but had no exercise whatsoever and no attention. The person who called to report the neglect (Thank goodness), said she had been kept this way since she was 1 year old.
Beside being very very fat, she surprised me by being black. Yes, just about totally black, but a little liver on the top of her head, quiet a bit of grey on the face and very little on her body.
She is tattoed on the right flank so I trace down her breeder, who happened to live only 50 miles away, and I had a long conversation with him. He said that she is papered CKC and that he often has "Black GWP" (?) Not to go back into our previous long discussion on coat colour, but have you ever heard of a Black GWP?
Anyway, she is here now, laying at my feet as I type this wonderful news, and despites her most unusual color, she reminds me so much of my Cheerio. It is as if a little of my beloved girl had sliped into this unfortunate body, and the best thing is, she has the same goofy happy smile!...
Tonight, I thank God for this lovely girl, called Comtesse...
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/09/03, 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are black gwps. The liver on her head is probably just discolored dead black hair and if you pull it out it should come back in black. If not.. well, she is a bit of a genetic "freak" (don't mean that in a bad way).

A black and white gwp should not be able to have any area of liver on it's body. Genetically speaking that is.

Good luck with her, she is now free of that rotten chain.
bernee
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/09/03, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerio

I am so happy for you. It sounds like you've got yourself a wonderful companion. She's also lucky she has you in her life. Many HAPPY days with your girl!!

Butterfly
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 08/13/03, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS Cheerio! And how lucky for this little girl to have a new life with you!

Ann
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/14/03, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there I am new to this board. Happy to hear for your new family member.and you know that the rescued ones are always the most memorable ones.
My father bred GWP's for 25yrs,and we had 50/50 coloring.
some would turn out very dark and almost all black,and some would be the same but in brown,and then we would get the nice even color and ticking.
So enjoy your new buddy.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/15/03, 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concratuations on your new Family member. She is very lucky girl.

Claudia & Walter
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/18/03, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Cheerio and Comptess! I'm thrilled you have found eachother and horrified at how some people treat their animals. I'm sure she will be fit and happy in no time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: