German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Rock Eating GWP??????? HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary

PostPosted: 08/03/03, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Rock Eating GWP??????? HELP Reply with quote

I just got a GWP, a couple of weeks ago....she is 10 weeks old, she has been eating rocks..and anything else she can get in her mouth...she is a house pet that I hope to train for bird hunting, and is being fed a quality puppy food w/rice and cooked ground turkey added to it (breeder suggested) ..I can't stop her from eating those darn rocks...I've been scrutinizing her everytime she is outside in our backyard and when I take her for walks on a leash...she likes to walk with her nose on the ground (which I guess is good for locating birds) and can suck up those darn rocks and pebbles so quick I can barely get em out of her mouth...My mother inlaw had a rottweiler that had several surgeries due to eating some crazy things...she is a huge dog fanatic and could never get him to stop eating everything he got in his mouth...I need some serious suggestions on what to do here........Is there any hope??I'm really getting discouraged...the puppy is eating well and having no problems with bowel movements...there were small rocks in a few of em, the last couple have looked OK...Also, I'm a greenhorn bird dog trainer and would like suggestions on good reference books..One other question, do any of you use your GWP for bird hunting? How do they rank among other hunting dogs?? HELP ME PLEASE, NORTHERN IDAHO ROCKHOUND!!!!!!!

Last edited by Gary on 08/03/03, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 08/03/03, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You didn't mention how old your new GWP was, but by the mention of "puppy food" I'm assuming she's young.

Rock eating is a habit found not just in GWPs, but in puppies of many different breeds. It's sorta like the phase human babies go through where everything they touch has to go right into the mouth. Fortunately, this is a phase the majority of them grow out of it. Just be patient with her and try to keep her from eating particularly big rocks or rocks with sharp edges! Watch her eating and if you notice a sharp decrease in appetite, swollen or tender abdomen or problems with elimination, contact your vet!

-BBAdmin
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/04/03, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Had the same problem with my youngest dog when he was a pup. He ate small rocks, dirt, wood, grass, and anything else he could get in his mouth. As a result, he suffered from diarrhea a lot, and was constantly going to the vet to be treated for it. Once I figured out what was going on, I just supervised him closely whenever we were out side. Also, I never left him unattended in the yard. He grew out of the habit quickly, but it was a pain until then. Good luck.

Phillip
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/05/03, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog eats rocks. He is 7 months old. but his favorite thing is sticks. I swear he has eaten enough sticks that he has officially eaten a whole tree.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/08/03, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley grew out of his rock eating too. Its stressful while they are doing it but it doesn't last forever. Like Sheri (?) said, try to keep her from eating the big ones with sharp edges.

Riley does still occasionally like to snack on a stick but he has no interest in rocks anymore.
GWP Fan

PostPosted: 08/11/03, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, congrats on your new pup! Where did you buy him from? I live in Spokane and would be glad to make some book sugestions and share my limited knowledge of training. As for eating rocks, you will be supresed at what a dog can pass through its system. Just keep an eye on him and dont let him break his teeth!
Good Luck
Gary

PostPosted: 08/12/03, 9:06 am    Post subject: Rock Eater Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, It's good to know I'm not the only one with a rock eater....Bella, has been less interested in rocks lately. I've been watching her closely when she is outside. Hopefuly she will outgrow her fancy for tasty rocks..........Thanks again........gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: