German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

How to introduce your dog to water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/15/03, 2:18 pm    Post subject: How to introduce your dog to water. Reply with quote

How to introduce your dog to water.
Hershey at 6 months old.

I helped him off the dock the first time and now I can't keep him out of the water. He loves retrieving in the water now.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/15/03, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEHEHE!! Great Picture! HOW did you get it posted? I'd LOVE to see more pics of GWP'S!!

Ann
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/15/03, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar experience with our 9 week old Gunner! But he actually FELL off the dock! He went under but bobbed right back up and began to swim like he had been doing it forever! He even went so far as to walk over to the edge and literally fall in again on purpose. They are too funny!

Ann
dualgwp

PostPosted: 07/15/03, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it worked out for Hershey, but I hesitate to "recommend" this method for many dogs.

The last thing you want to do is scare the dog out of loving the water! I may sound wishy washy,,,, but a gentler, calmer introduction where it is somewhat the dogs idea may be a sounder solution.

but, if it worked for him..... great.
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/16/03, 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If hershey didn't come back to the dock with his tail wagging so fast, I wouldn't have done it. but he really seemed to like it. Here is another picture to prove tehre were no hard feelings.

To post an image, you need a place on the internet that will allow you to store pictures. there are several free places out there. then you can insert it using the IMG tag. If you need help, I can try to help you.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 07/16/03, 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend that method. I am glad it worked out for you but I have also heard of dogs developing a permanent fear of the water after being introduced like that. Start out the pup by getting them used to shallow water. Always make it fun. If the dog loves retrieving throw the dummy in the shallow water first and gradually increase the distance until the dog has to swim. If that doesn't work you can go in the water yourself and coax the dog in. You can also get an older dog to go swimming and sometimes the pup will join in. Or you can walk to the far side of a small creek where the pup will have to swim across to join you. Or you can take a live duck and let the pup take off after it. Or you can do what I do. I let the pup get used to shallow water first. Then I carry them out until they will have to swim a short distance to get back to the bank. While they are swimming I praise them and make it fun. I slowly increase the distance they are swimming until they are confident and enjoying it. Regardless of which method you use try to find water that has a very gradual slope to it to the deep water. That way the pup doesn't just plunge off into the deep water.
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/16/03, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest assure I didn't just walk to the lake and throw him in. We played in the water several times before we went to the dock. he even was getting off the dock by himself. You'll notice the dock is very wet from the times before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: