German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training schools
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 10:42 am    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

I have been looking for local trainers in the area, no such luck other than at Pet Co ( I live in a small town). For a pup will this be a good traing school? It is like one night a week for an hour, for 6 weeks. They have a socialization time for the pups after class, and teach basic commands in the beginners course. They also have a advanceed class for after I complete the beginners course...

Suggestions ?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 11:04 am    Post subject: Training School Reply with quote

Hi,

That would be a great experience for your puppy. They learn to listen when there is distractions & how to deal with new situations.

Good Luck Rolling Eyes
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Hershey to PetsMart for his puppy kindergarten. All though I thought he did ok, the instructor was very new. So for dogs with any type of problems, I don’t think it was handled properly. My main goal was to have the puppy socialize. The training was what I was doing at home anyhow. So for me it worked out ok. Bottom line in my opinion, is your dog has no problems a pet store will be ok. But if you are experiencing real problems seek a pro.
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how it is in the States, but in Canada, Petsmart only hire trainers "without experience". They educate them by showing them a 2 hour video. Furthermore, training is done in the store, around the store, teaching the dog to heel while pointing various products on the shelves to the owner. This is really shamefull...
Leslie Swisher

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 3:29 pm    Post subject: training schools Reply with quote

I did a quick search through the AKC website and found an obedience club listed for Wichita Falls. It may be worthwhile giving them a look.

http://www.otcwf.com/

Enjoy training your pup Very Happy
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/15/03, 10:05 am    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

Leslie,
Thanks for that great info!!! I just got off the phone with one of the trainers, they have been having this course for over 20 years. So I assume it has to be a decent one... Needless to say the new pup will be enrolled in the oct 11th class..

Thanks again
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/15/03, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike:
You can go to www.apdt.com to locate a trainer. This will tell you what if any credentials they have. In the states this is not regulated. Any yahoo can call themselves a trainer if they can find people to give them money.

It is a good idea to sit in on a few classes to get a feel for the place. Just because they're certified does not make them a great fit for you and your dog so make sure to interview/observe them.
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/16/03, 9:44 am    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

Anne,

This is the only trainer on the site you gave me... Also he is the trainer for Pet Co. What do you think.. and yes I plan on taking a night and watching a class..

Eamon Riley, a native Wichitan, has been a professional dog trainer for eighteen years. Mr. Riley started his dog-training career while serving as a Military Policeman in the United States Marine Corps, where he attained the rank of Sargent. He was the Noncommissioned Officer in Charge of Training/Kennel Master at MCRD, Paris Island, S.C. Eamon has worked with dogs in a variety of capacities, including managing therapy dogs at the Fort Worth State School. He graduated from Midwestern State University with a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences with emphasis in Psychology and Criminal Justice.
He is a Certified Canine Behavior Counselor, a registered Evaluator for the AKC Canine Good Citizen Program, Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, a member of the Association of Companion Animal Behavior Counselors. Also, he is a past associate member of the North American Veterinarian Technicians Association. As the in-store obedience instructor for Petco, he teaches the Kindergarten Puppy Training and the Adult Dog Training classes. He uses only positive reinforcement techniques in his training.

Eamon is the owner/operator of The Dog Man Training Company. This company specializes in in-home training lessons, behavior modification and consulting for problem canine behavior. New pet selection assistance is also offered. ...

As the in-store obedience instructor for Petco, he teaches the Kindergarten Puppy Training and the Adult Dog Training classes.

He uses use the concept of operative conditioning, a fancy name for "Clicker Training" techniques in his training. This was first observed by the Psychologist B.F. Skinner - no adverse training techniques are used, EVER.

With the "In-home" training, the dog is taught obedience in the comfort of familiar environment. It is also the best place for Mr. Riley to observe the exact "problem" behaviors the owners wish to address.
Leslie Swisher

PostPosted: 07/16/03, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
It is good to see you are getting some leads. Smile

I agree with the post from Anne concerning the need to observe trainers in a class setting. Only by watching a class can you tell if the trainer is someone you would want to work with. I like to see dogs with wagging tails and handlers having fun when I observe training classes. Others may be more interested in things like class size or the speed of training.

Like Anne, I believe that having a certificate does not necessarily mean an instructor is the one for you and your pup. I looked at the apdt.com site and found that many highly-regarded trainers in this area are not listed.
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/17/03, 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sometimes a little cautious with trainers who have trained for the Police or the army. It has been my experience that some of them do not make the difference between training a service dog and a family pet, with the unfortunate result that they use extremely aggressive technics.
Definitely go observe the class and talk to other participants.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/17/03, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sure a mixed bag to have an ex-police trainer (notoriously aversive)/APDT member (pledge to be positive). I would guess by the end of the evening watching his class you will have made your decision.

My experience with police trainers is pretty much the same as Cheerio's. In fact just yesterday I had a conversation with an officer in charge of the K9 unit for a city near me. "Ya gotta let 'em know with pain" he kept insisting.

However, the APDT has rigid standards about humane training that this trainer has obviously agreed to if he is a member. They tend to be big into classical and operant conditioning (positive connections, that is). If he's into clickers that is a good sign.

I agree watch for wagging tails and people having fun. I also like trainers that see each dog as an individual. To me it’s a red flag if trainers indiscriminately give the same training advice for all dogs.
You should be encouraged to try different things with your pup if the trainer's ideas aren't working.

Ultimately, I believe training is about a loving, mutually respectful relationship with your dog. You'll be able to tell by watching the class if he fosters that in his clients.

I'm curious to hear what he's like.
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/17/03, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

Well it wont be long before you will hear.. I was supposed to receive my new pup on 8 aug, but the air force had a differant plan for me. I will be out of town during that time.. My wife called the breeder for me and low and behold they were in a stuggle with the time also, they had forgotten about a show they were going to attend. So I will be getting my pup on 20 aug 8(.. feels like so far away after thinking I was going to get her sooner.. But I will be watching the next class he has at pet co. more details to come!!

Mike
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/18/03, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
It is my information that cautions aginst ob. training before bird work. Says it can make a half plodded worker from what may have been a flashy performer. My pup knows come, weather or not he obeys is up to him....for now, he knows whoa and again its up to him for now and he has seemed to know stay without teaching it. I will tell him stay when I going to leave the house and he wants to follow me out the door, I dont want to say whoa because that would mean stand still and dont move until I say to
and if I'm not there he will brake on his own. I try a little with heel but he is just too fired up for it, however, the day will come. Dont put any pressure on a pup until at least a year old. My dog will never see a pinch or choke chain until then. What training system do you plan on using?
Kyser
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/18/03, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne, I just noticed the quote you use from Saint Exupery. I did not know that "The Little Prince" was known in this parts of the world. It is my favorite book, so much to learn from it, about people, animals, and interaction between people and animal. The story with the fox is definitely one of the best!
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/19/03, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

Kyser,
Well at this point I am really looking at clicker training. Out of the reasearch I have done on the internet and books/mags, this seems to be the best way to go. I know I know everyone has a different way to train their pups, but everyone who has used this meathod seems to say it works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: