German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Question about weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andiemak

PostPosted: 07/12/03, 9:22 am    Post subject: Question about weight Reply with quote

My pup is 12 weeks old. I just took her to the vet and she weighs 11 pounds. She was 7 1/2 pounds at 8 weeks. The vet thinks she has not gained enough weight. I can see her ribs but they are not protruding. She has lots of energy but she rarely finishes her food. Any ideas? Does this seem too light?

Only one in my family who has to worry about not eating enough!
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/12/03, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pup doesnt seem to eat alot either but at 9 weeks he was 14.4 lbs
at 14 weeks was 24.2 and today at 18 weeks was 32.2. His ribs arent as noticeable to look at but can be felt easily. I'm always more worried about him injuring a leg, he can be quite the wild one at times.
Good Luck!
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/13/03, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello andiemak, it seems to me that your vet is not familiar with the breed, nor with most of the "working breeds". It is common for these dog to be thin during their first year and even sometimes to not put on wait up until their 3 year. If he has been dewormed (Lopatol or Drontal plus)is happy, playful and active, live him alone, he is doing just fine.
If you really want him to get fatter, give him a couple of raw chicken backs every day (bones and all!), or change his diet to a raw food diet (BARF)and add up 1/2 a cup of raw oat. You can also add one cup of goat milk on his kibbles.
andiemak

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much cheerio - that was my gut instinct but she really made me nervous. I also called my breeder and he thought everything was fine. I think I need to find a new vet! I will try the chicken tho....
andiemak

PostPosted: 07/14/03, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyser - thanks for the reply - your pup started quite a bit larger then mine and I am also worried about injuring her legs - she is so petite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: