German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Loose in house vs Crate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amymarie

PostPosted: 02/18/13, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Loose in house vs Crate Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if most people crate their GWP's everytime they aren't home, or if they trust them to be loose in the house. Sky is a 2 year old neutered male, and I typically crate him. I have left him out for up to 5 hours, without incident, but I'm nervous to leave him during the day while I'm at work. And if you do leave them alone, how old were they when you started?

Thanks!
Orius

PostPosted: 06/03/13, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experimented on and off since Ronin was about 1.5 years old, he's 3 now. I will leave him out of his crate, but with crate open if he wants to go in and the worst that has happened is an occasional relocated shoe, footprints in the bathtub and a few times the cardboard recycling became a basket of "toys."

After one of those slip ups I usually crate him the next day or 2, then try again. The pattern of mischief seems to directly correlate with how much exercise he got that morning or day before (More exercise = more well behaved GWP). Rainy days usually = less run around time = more mischievous GWP.

Definitely high energy but I have not found Ronin to be a very destructive critter. Maybe I just go lucky.

Good Luck with Sky.
dakotagun

PostPosted: 11/21/13, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually crated my dogs overnight and for short time home alone. then let momma and the kids break that trend, and it's almost impossible to get it back on track. dog sits in the crate during the day, but I have to 'command' it to kennel up at night, which wasn't a problem prior. next pup, coming in spring '14, will know and love it's crate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: