German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Growing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/06/03, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Growing Reply with quote

My dog Jake turned a year old June 25. At what age will he stop growing? He seems alittle small to us. We measured him and he's 24" tall and weighs 53 lbs. Will he get any bigger? His Dad was from Germany and he was a big strapping dog. His Mom was breed here in the States and she was small. Not extremely small but small, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Butterfly
abbygwp

PostPosted: 07/06/03, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly,

See my post under weight. Just took our female (both parents from germany) who is two to the vets on Saturday.

She is 25 inches from hip to foot and weighs 74.5 lbs. BUT, from a reply I got, every dog is different.
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/07/03, 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs such as the GWP usually does most of his growing in height by 12 months but will slowly continue to gain height up untill 18 months. From 12 to 24 months, the chest drops and the muscle mass will form. During the 3 rd year, Mother Nature puts a final touch on the developement of puppy who will gain a little fat and will become again a little wider. His coat will also take its final quality. At 3, the dog you see is the dog you have. Patience, and in the mean time, take plenty of photos...
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/08/03, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I had also a question?
Arthur is 6 monhs old 22'' high and 50 lb and growing. Is that normal?
We never had a dog that shoot up so fast.
His Dad was pretty big 28" and 85 lb and is mom wasn't small either.

Thanks Claudia
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/08/03, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very hard to judge how tall or big your dog will be when he is 6 months old. Like for people, there is a general trend but dogs do grow at different speed and different time. Furthermore, parents are not always a good way to judge anything, size included. Breeders will tell you how they usually look at the grand-parents when planing a litter. For some reason, the genes often jump one generation. So patience...as long as puppy seems happy and healthy, no need for worries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: